Just an introduction..

powbam

Just wanted to say hi and thanks to all the contributors of this forum/site. Also to create an account in case I ever do need to post some questions. I wanted to start learning to program (I am 40 years old, btw) and I was often frustrated with the material available to self-teach (even for languages like Python). Then I wandered on to AutoIt somehow and the entry barrier to begin learning was vastly easier to breach than anything else I have come across.

Google searching "autoit + whatever I needed to know" has been proven invaluable to me in the creation of my program and thanks to this forum I have neared completion of it and at the moment have around 2000 lines of code. @Melba23 Many of your posts in particular helped me achieve many of the goals of my program. Thanks alot and to everyone else whose posts may have helped.

Here is a pic of what I got so far:

6V9DcYj.png

It is a program related to "Switching" around various save files and folders for ease of use for both Steam and GOG versions of a game I am a playtester of called Grim Dawn. It's actually a fairly niche tool, made specifically for people who own the game from both game clients, but it does have broader uses, one of those "backing up save folders for different expansion packs" is the one major feature I have left to integrate in to it.

Thanks again and if this wasn't the ideal place to post this, sorry, as I could find no other better alternative on this forum.

Hmm. I see in the forum rules I "may" have potentially accidentally posted something contrary to your rules:

Launching, automation or script interaction with games or game servers, regardless of the game.

If you decide to lock the thread then so be it. My primary aim was merely to give thanks to the forum members. I rarely need to ask for direct help (I actively try to avoid having to) so that was certainly not my intent.

As for my little program you can be assured the game developers are fully open to 1) their game being modded (the same tools they made the game with are provided to owners of the game), and 2) the use of 3rd party tools with the game. They even encourage it in many cases. Above all they believe anyone should play the game in any manner which they find provides them the most fun.

As can be seen in their Modding/Tools & Utilities section of their forums:

As for my tool - Being a playtester I often have builds on the Steam test version that the public doesn't have and builds that aren't compatible with the public versions. Sometimes I like to be able to play the non-test version which is why I decided to buy a GOG copy of the game. Unfortunately both game versions utilize the same exact save folder location which proved problematic with my save files being incompatible from one version to the other. Rather than doing it manually GD Switcher was born, as the name suggests its primary focus is merely to switch the save folders out/in as needed, thus keeping each game versions saves and settings safely separated from each other. It will also have the ability to back saves up to a users custom location and to be able to bring them in and out as needed. Other than that it has no purpose in it's design to directly interfere or interact with the games code. Other community members at the site have those types of tools well covered.

Anyway, apologies as I was unaware of the exceedingly strict rules. I'm sure you have your reasons and I had no original intent to post anything contrary to the forum rules.

Edited by JLogan3o13

Welcome to the forum.

The problem with your Opening Post is that you said about game.

So as I think many forum members is waiting for mod attention or confirmation if this topic is legitimate.

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

1 minute ago, mLipok said:

Welcome to the forum.

The problem with your Opening Post is that you said about game.

So as I think many forum members is waiting for mod attention or confirmation if this topic is legitimate.

Yeah.. that's what I kind of gathered once I stumbled on to some other posts that had to do with the topic. Most of those were often people asking for help to do things that could have been deemed sketchy in nature but after reading the rules I see that they are exceptionally strict to the point where I probably screwed myself unwittingly  regardless.

Really, all I wanted to do was basically gush about how awesome AutoIt is for me and to thank Melba23 for all his great posts that helped me out massively. ;)

1 hour ago, powbam said:

Do you have to have a certain number of posts to be able to edit posts?

Forum has some limitation/configuration in this regards, but I do not remember exactly.

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

• Moderators

@powbam While we understand that the game you are modding may be open to such automation, and may even have the developers' blessing, it is still not something we want discussed here. AutoIt has a long history of struggling against the bad reputation of game botters, viewed by many other players and by companies as cheaters. The goal of this forum is to provide a place where people can learn and improve their skills at using the language, so long as those uses do not harm the AutoIt's reputation.

Welcome to the forum nevertheless. Please do go through the rest of the forum rules now that you have found them, and bear them in mind when posting in the future. Hope to see you soon with a legitimate question.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!