CheckUpdate - AutoUpdate a running script (or .exe) over the Web

GreenCan

Edit 2: Version 1.0.0.3 including View History of Changes function

post-42917-0-76183500-1403819115_thumb.j
Edit 1: Amended source code on guinness advise (replacement of obsolete _Iif() )

Example of Auto Updating of a running script using Internet Web download.
Works as well for compiled as for uncompiled scripts.
Download with file size and checksum verification
 UpdateTest_1.0.1.3.au3 this is version 1.0.1.2 for the update example
Helper to setup file data (version, date, filesize and CRC) in AppsUpdates.txt
AppsUpdates_Calculator.au3

Credits:

MsgBoxEx() used in in the example written by Ward

_CRC32() also by Ward (just a coincidence)

version 1.0.0.2:

previous version without history of changes

UpdateTest.au3 ver 1.0.0.2 (previous downloads: 10)
[UpdateTest.au3]
version=1.0.1.1
date=2014/06/17 17:29
Filesize=17109
CRC=98756666
download=http://users.telenet.be/GreenCan/AutoIt/Updates/UpdateTest_1.0.1.1.au3

[UpdateTest.exe]
version=1.0.1.1
date=2014/06/17 17:56
Filesize=472576
CRC=0D9477D5
download=http://users.telenet.be/GreenCan/AutoIt/Updates/UpdateTest_1.0.1.1.exe

The web directory has 3 files:

Before you test the script, compile it first with AutoIt3Wrapper, to get the version number in the executable.
You can test it then with both compiled and uncompiled versions.

The script example will check the application update version in file AppsUpdates.txt on the update website. If required, it will propose the upgrade. You can then disregard it or accept the update.

The new 'View Changes' button will download and display the change information text.

If updating, the initial script will be renamed with it's version number (as safety backup), and the new updated will be renamed to the initial script file name, in order not to break shortcuts.
There is no code to postpone the update proposal by a number of days, this has to be programmed separately.

Web data file AppsUpdates.txt content (INI file)

now includes a new line containing the url to history file:

changes=...

[UpdateTest.au3]
version=1.0.1.3
date=2014/06/26 23:00
Filesize=22234
CRC=77446F0C
download=http://users.telenet.be/GreenCan/AutoIt/Updates/UpdateTest_1.0.1.3.au3
changes=http://users.telenet.be/GreenCan/AutoIt/Updates/UpdateTest_HistoryOfChanges.txt

[UpdateTest.exe]
version=1.0.1.3
date=2014/06/26 23:02
Filesize=490496
CRC=28974906
download=http://users.telenet.be/GreenCan/AutoIt/Updates/UpdateTest_1.0.1.3.exe
changes=http://users.telenet.be/GreenCan/AutoIt/Updates/UpdateTest_HistoryOfChanges.txt

The web directory has 3 files:

• AppsUpdates.txt (the updater data file)
  • UpdateTest_1.0.1.1.exe
  • UpdateTest_1.0.1.1.au3

Edited by GreenCan

Contributions

CheckUpdate - SelfUpdating script ------- Self updating script

Dynamic input validation ------------------- Use a Input masks can make your life easier and Validation can be as simple

MsgBox with CountDown ------------------- MsgBox with visual countdown

Display Multiline text cells in ListView ---- Example of pop-up or ToolTip for multiline text items in ListView

Presentation Manager ---------------------- Program to display and refresh different Border-less GUI's on a Display (large screen TV)

USB Drive Tools ------------------------------ Tool to help you with your USB drive management

Input Period udf ------------------------------ GUI for a period input

Excel ColorPicker ---------------------------- Color pickup tool will allow you to select a color from the standard Excel color palette

Excel Chart UDF ----------------------------- Collaboration project with water 

GetDateInString ------------------------------ Find date/time in a string using a date format notation like DD Mon YYYY hh:mm

TaskListAllDetailed --------------------------- List All Scheduled Tasks

Computer Info --------------------------------- A collection of information for helpdesk

Shared memory Demo ----------------------- Demo: Two applications communicate with each other through means of a memory share (using Nomad function, 32bit only)

Universal Date Format Conversion -------- Universal date converter from your PC local date format to any format

Disable Windows DetailsPane -------------- Disable Windows Explorer Details Pane

Oracle SQL Report Generator -------------  Oracle Report generator using SQL

SQLite Report Generator -------------------  SQLite Report generator using SQL

SQLite ListView and BLOB demo ---------- Demo: shows how binary (image) objects can be recognized natively in a database BLOB field

DSN-Less Database connection demo --- Demo: ActiveX Data Objects DSN-Less Database access

Animated animals ----------------------------- Fun: Moving animated objects

Perforated image in GUI --------------------- Fun: Perforate your image with image objects

UEZ's Perforator major update ------------- Fun: Pro version of Perforator by UEZ

Visual Crop Tool (GUI) ----------------------- Easy to use Visual Image Crop tool

Visual Image effect (GUI) -------------------- Visually apply effects on an image

Hi Wayfarer,

OK, What is the problem with this?

• MsgBox in the function: how do you advise the user if there is a newer version available?  MsgBox in case of errors can be deleted but then you have to cover the message at the function exit.
  • _Iff() is a standard function of AutoIt, I like it very much because it permits to reduce the number of lines in a code.
  • Consolewrite is there to give some explanation in the function, they are meant to be deleted when you use it in real life.
  • bat file: well, if there is another simple way to do it, please let me know, I am really interested... (with embedded AutoIt script, it won't work, with a compiled side program, it will, but then it is not embedded anymore)
  • ini virtual, OK, I could have saved the file, use regular IniRead() and delete the file afterwards. but maybe this is a bit more complex...
  • Exit?  Yes, I use it in line 193 :)
  • You forgot the CRC, the InetGet() with progress bar and also the way that I get the version number in the non-compiled example ;)

I appreciate however that you like the example.

No, seriously, it looks complex, but by the end, the version update checker is performed through a single call to CheckUpdate() and it works.

GreenCan

I

Contributions

Dynamic input validation ------------------- Use a Input masks can make your life easier and Validation can be as simple

Display Multiline text cells in ListView ---- Example of pop-up or ToolTip for multiline text items in ListView

Presentation Manager ---------------------- Program to display and refresh different Border-less GUI's on a Display (large screen TV)

USB Drive Tools ------------------------------ Tool to help you with your USB drive management

Excel ColorPicker ---------------------------- Color pickup tool will allow you to select a color from the standard Excel color palette

GetDateInString ------------------------------ Find date/time in a string using a date format notation like DD Mon YYYY hh:mm

Computer Info --------------------------------- A collection of information for helpdesk

Shared memory Demo ----------------------- Demo: Two applications communicate with each other through means of a memory share (using Nomad function, 32bit only)

Universal Date Format Conversion -------- Universal date converter from your PC local date format to any format

Disable Windows DetailsPane -------------- Disable Windows Explorer Details Pane

SQLite ListView and BLOB demo ---------- Demo: shows how binary (image) objects can be recognized natively in a database BLOB field

DSN-Less Database connection demo --- Demo: ActiveX Data Objects DSN-Less Database access

Perforated image in GUI --------------------- Fun: Perforate your image with image objects

UEZ's Perforator major update ------------- Fun: Pro version of Perforator by UEZ

Visual Crop Tool (GUI) ----------------------- Easy to use Visual Image Crop tool

Visual Image effect (GUI) -------------------- Visually apply effects on an image

_Iif() was removed from the language ages ago.

As with regards to the MsgBox() in a function, is this meant to be a UDF? If so then you should use SetError() and document what each @error message corresponds to, so the developer can decide on how to output that to the end user. You will notice that we don't use MsgBox() in the UDFs and for good reason too.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

_Iif() was removed from the language ages ago.

Hi guinness,

It is not yet removed from Misc.au3 (I guess to allow AutoIt members to have time to remove the code before the next release),  I admit it is now undocumented in the latest AutoIt release (not available anymore in the helpfile)

But in the previous v3.3.8.1 release (still used by a lot of people), it was still available in Helpfile.

I must say that I don't quite understand why it was removed.

==> Scripts should be updated to use ternary operators instead.

So if I adhere to the recommendation, I should use this standard practice syntax:

CheckUpdate("UpdateTest" & (@Compiled ? ".exe" : ".au3"), $sVersion, "http://users.telenet.be/GreenCan/AutoIt/Updates/AppsUpdates.txt")

instead of

;CheckUpdate("UpdateTest" & _Iif(@Compiled, ".exe", ".au3"), $sVersion, "http://users.telenet.be/GreenCan/AutoIt/Updates/AppsUpdates.txt")

I don't think that it makes the code more understandable...

GreenCan

Contributions

Hi guinness,

It is not yet removed from Misc.au3 (I guess to allow AutoIt members to have time to remove the code before the next release),  I admit it is now undocumented in the latest AutoIt release (not available anymore in the helpfile)

But in the previous v3.3.8.1 release (still used by a lot of people), it was still available in Helpfile.

I removed it in v3.3.12.0 (the latest), so as far as I'm concerned it's gone. _Iif() was there because ternary wasn't in previous versions of AutoIt, though is used in most programming langauges. As to the "issue" of readability, all you have to do is replace the two commas with ? : and remove the function name. If people have trouble understanding ternary, then I would avoid most programming languages.

Did you also see my edit about MsgBox()?

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

I removed it in v3.3.12.0 (the latest), so as far as I'm concerned it's gone. _Iif() was there because ternary wasn't in previous versions of AutoIt, though is used in most programming langauges. As to the "issue" of readability, all you have to do is replace the two commas with ? : and remove the function name. If people have trouble understanding ternary, then I would avoid most programming languages.

Don't over-estimate occasional programmers (I am member of this category ;)).

Not every AutoIt member has experience with C++

I will change my code accordingly...

I didn't even notice the new version, I am still on v3.3.10.2. But although I am a daily user of AutoIt, my visits to the forum are not that regular... I am going to have a hard time again to get this upgrade done by my outsourcing partner (I have no admin rights on my business laptop...)

Did you also see my edit about MsgBox()?

Yes, now I did, thanks.

GreenCan

Edited by GreenCan

Contributions

The users who downloaded the first version can simply start the script again, and update to the latest version will be done automatically.

GreenCan

Edited by GreenCan

Contributions

The problem I see with this is that there are UDFs out there, that people use, that use _Iif().  I found myself going through other people's code to replace the function.  Very tedious until I realized that all I had to do was include a simple compatability funciton.

Func _Iif($a, $b, $c)
    Return ($a ? $b : $c)
EndFunc

I personally think something as simple as that should have been maintained for backward compatability, but then again, the solution is also simple enough.

but then again, the solution is also simple enough.

That pretty much sums it up. It's tedious to have a function such as that in the UDFs. As with regards to "backwards compatibility", AutoIt is a language that is constantly growing, so I pose the question of which AutoIt version should the UDFs support? How far back do you want to go? 3, 4, 7 years? Thankfully the UDFs that ship with each AutoIt setup work with that particular version, so if you miss _Iif() stick with the version that it was last seen in.

If you had concerns about this before then you should have spoken up during the beta stage!

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

@@ Debug(383) : Update file found
@@ Debug(475) : Version info not available in Update file
@@ Debug(55) : @error 4

how to fix ?

Hi CVSz,

I am trying to understand what your problem is.

I assume you have tried to create your own script as my example does not have 475 lines?

First question, does the original example function correctly on your system?

@error 4, if you look into the function, you get the error if the version key is not found in the updater file (then an empty string "" is returned)

$sNewVersion = IniMemoryRead($sINI_Data, $sFileToUpdate, "version", "")

The structure of the updater file (AppsUpdates.txt) for

CheckUpdate("Mytest.au3", "1.0.0.0", "http:/mywebsite/Mytest.ini",1)

looks like this:

structure of "http:/mywebsite/Mytest.in for a new revision:

[Mytest.au3]                    ==> First parameter of CheckUpdate(), name of section

version=1.0.0.1               ==> This is the line that IniMemoryRead() does not find in your script. The version number set here corresponds to the line #AutoIt3Wrapper_Res_Fileversion=1.0.0.1 in your own updated script

date=2014/06/25 15:30  ==> any date in fact, just indicative

Filesize=xxxxxx                ==> File size in bytes returned by  AppsUpdates_Calculator.au3

CRC=xxxxxxxxx               ==> CRC calculation File size in bytes returned by  AppsUpdates_Calculator.au3

download=http://users.telenet.be/GreenCan/AutoIt/Updates/UpdateTest_1.0.1.1.au3 ==> url of the update script to download

Let me know if you got the issue fixed.

GreenCan

Contributions

New Version 1.0.0.3 now includes View History of Changes function

see First post for more details and download.

The users who downloaded a previous version can simply start the script again, update to the latest version will be done automatically.

GreenCan

Contributions

• 4 years later...