Sign in to follow this  
uncommon

ReplaceStringInFile Suggestion

uncommon

Func __ReplaceStringInFile($szFileName, $szSearchString, $szReplaceString, $fCaseness = 0, $fOccurance = 1)
    Local $iRetVal = 0
    Local $nCount, $sEndsWith
    ; Check if file is readonly ..
    If StringInStr(FileGetAttrib($szFileName), "R") Then Return SetError(6, 0, -1)
    ;===============================================================================
    ;== Read the file into an array
    ;===============================================================================
    Local $hFile = FileOpen($szFileName, $FO_READ)
    If $hFile = -1 Then Return SetError(1, 0, -1)
    Local $s_TotFile = FileRead($hFile, FileGetSize($szFileName))
    If StringRight($s_TotFile, 2) = @CRLF Then
        $sEndsWith = @CRLF
    ElseIf StringRight($s_TotFile, 1) = @CR Then
        $sEndsWith = @CR
    ElseIf StringRight($s_TotFile, 1) = @LF Then
        $sEndsWith = @LF
    Else
        $sEndsWith = ""
    EndIf
    Local $aFileLines = StringSplit(StringStripCR($s_TotFile), @LF)
    FileClose($hFile)
    ;== Open the output file in write mode
    Local $iEncoding = FileGetEncoding($szFileName)
    Local $hWriteHandle = FileOpen($szFileName, $iEncoding + $FO_OVERWRITE)
    If $hWriteHandle = -1 Then Return SetError(2, 0, -1)
    ;== Loop through the array and search for $szSearchString
    For $nCount = 1 To $aFileLines[0]
        If StringInStr($aFileLines[$nCount], $szSearchString, $fCaseness) Then
            $iRetVal = $iRetVal + 1
            If $fOccurance = $iRetVal Then
                $aFileLines[$nCount] = StringReplace($aFileLines[$nCount], $szSearchString, $szReplaceString, 1 - $fOccurance, $fCaseness)
                ExitLoop
            EndIf
        EndIf
    Next
    ;== Write the lines back to original file.
    FileClose($hWriteHandle)
    Local $Tempfile = _TempFile()
    FileWrite($Tempfile, _ArrayToString($aFileLines, @LF, 1))
    FileMove($Tempfile, $szFileName, 1)
    Return $iRetVal
EndFunc   ;==>__ReplaceStringInFile

Yes, I know guinness improved the ReplaceStringInFile function in terms of speed and  efficiency but hear me out. I made some changes to the original myself that increased the speed of the writing and more importantly for me change the occurrence option so the function would only replace that specific occurrence of string.

I not saying use my code. What I am suggesting is to add extra functionally to the ReplaceStringInFile so there is a option to replace a specific occurrence.

I could not think of a way to do this with the new one guinness made so above is just an example of how I did it with the old one.

I have also attached the file.au3 file.

File.au3

No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking.Voltaire

_Array2HTMLTable()_IEClassNameGetCollection()_IEquerySelectorAll()

guinness

Looking at the the code you assume every line ends with the same EOL character and then when you come to write the data to the file you just use a linefeed character. As for adding your suggestion, I don't feel it appeals to the wider audience. Thanks.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018