BlazerV60

_IsPressed Error in HelpFile

9 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

Greetings people of the AutoIt community!

I think I have discovered some possible wrong verbiage in the HelpFile.

I'm trying to make my software detect the _IsPressed("KEY") for the RIGHT MENU button on the keyboard. 

You all have a RIGHT MENU button on your keyboard (maybe you haven't noticed it), it's they key between the Right ALT key and the Right CTRL Key.

However!!!!!!! In the helpfile it says the RIGHT MENU key is "A5", that is not true for me. A5 is actually the Right ALT key.

So my question is, what is the _IsPressed HexKey for the RIGHT MENU button?

#include <Misc.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Local $hDLL = DllOpen("user32.dll")

While 1
    If _IsPressed("A5", $hDLL) Then
       Sleep(100)
       msgbox(0,"Test", "Pressed!")
      Sleep(250)
      EndIf
WEnd

DllClose($hDLL)

If you try to run the above code, the msgbox will only appear if you press the Right ALT key, even though the helpfil says that A5 is the Right Menu Key hex.

Thank you,

Brian

Edited by BlazerV60
Inserted my code

According to Microsoft, the right menu key is 0xA5 or $VK_RMENU. No clue why your keyboard shows it as the ALT key. The virtual keycode for the ALT key is supposed to be 0x12 or $VK_MENU, according to Microsoft.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Hi BrewMan,

For some reason this isn't the case for me.

If I try to run this simple script below, the msgbox will only appear if I press the RIGHT ALT key. It won't show if I pressed the RIGHT menu key.

#include <Misc.au3>

While 1
    If _IsPressed("A5", $hDLL) Then
       Sleep(100)
      Sleep(250)
      EndIf
WEnd

DllClose($hDLL)

Let me know if the above code works fine for you.

Thanks!

@BrewManNH do you mean this MSDN article ?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/pl-pl/library/ms927178.aspx

VK_LMENU 0xA4 Left ALT
VK_RMENU 0xA5 Right ALT

If so then you have right about that this function works correctly.

But I think this user is looking for this key:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menu_key

Am I right @BlazerV60 ?

If so then, I can agree with @BlazerV60 that HelpFile is using wrong wording as "Right ALT" <> "Right MENU key" and where you can find "Left MENU key"

Signature beginning:   Wondering who uses AutoIT and what it can be used for ?
* GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST API *
ADO.au3 UDF     POP3.au3 UDF     XML.au3 UDF    How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x  for other useful stuff click the following button

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST API *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 - BETA * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF *

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Best coding practices * 

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * 

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2017-06-04

according to:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menu_key

Programmers using the Windows API can intercept this key by looking for a WM_KEYDOWN message with wParam VK_APPS (defined as 0x5D in winuser.h). It has key code 93 (VK_APPS 0x5D.)

and  https://msdn.microsoft.com/pl-pl/library/ms927178.aspx

VK_APPS 5D Applications key on a Microsoft Natural Keyboard

So this example should looks like this:

#include <Misc.au3>

While 1
    If _IsPressed("5D", $hDLL) Then
       Sleep(100)
      Sleep(250)
      EndIf
WEnd

DllClose($hDLL)

btw.
HelpFile for _IsPressed()   should be extended, I mean this following information:

VK_APPS 5D Applications key on a Microsoft Natural Keyboard

should be added.

1 person likes this

ADO.au3 UDF     POP3.au3 UDF     XML.au3 UDF    How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x  for other useful stuff click the following button

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST API *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 - BETA * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF *

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Best coding practices * 

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * 

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

It depends on what the wording is for the key, in the MSDN site, the ALT key uses the VK_MENU key code, so I guess the RMENU key would equate to the right ALT key, if the ALT key is called the MENU key.

I did some digging, and the key you're looking for is the APPS key, which uses key code 0x5D or $VK_APPS.

BTW, the key code variables I mentioned are found in WinAPIvkeysConstants.au3

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

@mLipok

Yes, mLipok the wikipedia article that shows the image of the Menu key that you linked is EXACTLY the key I'm talking about.

And I also agree with you on the revision that should be made in the Help File.

The Help File should be updated to say:

A5 Right ALT key INSTEAD OF A5 Right MENU key 

Also, as you suggested, the helpfile should be extended to add this:

5D  Right MENU key

@BrewManNH

Maybe it can be called the APPS key too, but most people know it as the Menu key. The wikipedia link shown by mLipok shows that it's officially called the Menu key as well.

Thank you for directing me to the WINAPIvKeysConstants.au3, that should also have revisions to reflect this new update

I also did some digging, in the GERMAN autoit helpfile: https://autoit.de/onlinehilfe/libfunctions/_IsPressed.htm

It correctly lists A5 as the Right Alt Key, unlike in the English version. The link is an English/German side by side comparison.

Thank you everyone for helping me in this. 5D is the correct hex for the Menu button, and now I'm able to finish my program.

#8 ·  Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, BrewManNH said:

BTW, the key code variables I mentioned are found in WinAPIvkeysConstants.au3

I see that.
I wonder how to use these variables with this function?

btw.

I just added this

5D PopUp Menu Key - Applications key on a Microsoft Natural Keyboard

to HelpFile documentation for _IsPressed(). (edit: in SVN)

Edited by mLipok

Spoiler

Unfortunately the _IsPressed function won't recognize the $VK_* key variables, I just remembered that the function adds the "0x" to the start of the string you send the function. So you have to send it the string of the key codes instead of the constants it should be using.

Although the whole function basically is a 3 line wrapper for the GetAsyncKeyState function, so the _isPressed function is kind of a dummy's guide to the _WinAPI_GetAsyncKeyState function in the WinAPI UDF.