xiantez

Variable must be of type "Object" in For Loop

xiantez
Posted (edited)

This script used to work on an older version of AutoIT. Currently I am running AutoIT v3.3.14.5 and it's failing.

Func PublicIP() ;Post public facing IP address
    Local $url = 'https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=what+is+my+ip&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8'
    Local $getIPaddress = BinaryToString(InetRead($url))
    Local $sStart = 'clamp:2">'
    Local $sEnd = '</div>'
    Local $ipaddress = _StringBetween($getIPaddress, $sStart, $sEnd

For $i In $ipaddress
        MsgBox(0, 'External IP', "Your public IP address is " & $i)
    Next
EndFunc   ;==>PublicIP

The console output shows:

"C:\Users\user\Documents\AutoIT\Scripts\WSI Tools.au3" (197) : ==> Variable must be of type "Object".:
For $i In $ipaddress
For $i In $ipaddress^ ERROR
->14:12:16 AutoIt3.exe ended.rc:1
+>14:12:16 AutoIt3Wrapper Finished.
>Exit code: 1    Time: 9.811

:think:

Edited by xiantez
privacy

JLogan3o13

You need to make sure that $ipaddress has the information that you expect it to. If you output to the console right before you for loop, is $ipaddress what you would expect it to be?

√-1 2^3 ∑ π, and it was delicious!

xiantez

It appears to return an array

msgbox.png

jchd

Post the actual code you use. The one posted above can't be real as it won't run until there.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

xiantez
Posted (edited)

The rest of the code is irrelevant. I have isolated that piece of code into a standalone script and the problem still occurs

;==============================================================================================================================
;INCLUDE ALL LIBRARIES
;==============================================================================================================================
#include <IE.au3>
#include <Inet.au3>
#include <String.au3>
#include <Array.au3>

Local $url = 'https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=what+is+my+ip&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8'
Local $sEnd = '</div>'
Local $ipaddress = _StringBetween($getIPaddress, $sStart, $sEnd)
MsgBox("", "", $ipaddress)

For $i In $ipaddress
Next

Edited by xiantez

jchd

At least now the missing closing parenthesis at end of "Local $ipaddress = ..." is fixed!

But as you noted, there is still a slight error:

Local $sEnd = '</div>'
MsgBox("", "",  "Error = " & @error & @LF & "Result type = " & VarGetType($ipaddress))
If IsArray($ipaddress) Then
    For $i In $ipaddress
    Next
EndIf

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

xiantez

Ran the code above...

image.png.9376914133812c05a4b50e1179054102.png

JLogan3o13
14 hours ago, xiantez said:

It appears to return an array

msgbox.png

And what does an _ArrayDisplay on $ipaddress look like?

LisHawj

Your script is not working because your $getIPaddress variable does not contain the value you are searching for in your _StringBetween line.  See my example below where I search for $sStart and it errors out.  Examine the value of $getIPaddress carefully and it should tell you what is wrong or what to change to make it work.

;INCLUDE ALL LIBRARIES
#include <IE.au3>
#include <Inet.au3>
#include <String.au3>
#include <Array.au3>

Local $sEnd = '</div>'

If StringInStr($getIPaddress, $sStart) = 0 Then MsgBox(0,"", "String is not found.")

MsgBox("", "", $ipaddress)

For $i In $ipaddress
Next

JLogan3o13

Wow, it is almost like someone suggested that very course of action above! :lmao:

xiantez

Yeah you both are correct, now I am just trying to figure out "why" $getIPaddress does not have the string value i expect it to have =P

Thanks for all your help guys, appreciate it

JLogan3o13

You'll have to work your way backward up the logic chain. Is $getIPAddress returning what you would expect?

xiantez

No, sure isn't. It's not returning anything when I pipe it to a msgbox, just blank... Looking into this code to make sure it still behaves the same way I think it should behave...

$url = 'https://www.whatismyip.com/'
 $getIPaddress = BinaryToString(InetRead($url))

jchd

Just test for error(s):

$url = 'https://www.whatismyip.com/'
$result = InetRead($url)
ConsoleWrite(@error & @LF)

From this point on, no bet holds.

xiantez

Welp... This worked flawlessly and only 4 lines of code lol... I guess ill just stick with it

#include <Inet.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Local $sPublicIP = _GetIP()
MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "Your external IP address is: " & $sPublicIP)

mLipok

When it comes to get Public IP try this:

Signature beginning:   Wondering who uses AutoIT and what it can be used for ?
* GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST API Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF     POP3.au3 UDF     XML.au3 UDF    How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x  for other useful stuff click the following button

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF *

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskScheduler

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2018-10-31