Good coding practices in AutoIt

guinness

This is kind of related to the above and I was wondering what your thoughts are on this method. The following function needs to run twice (for whatever reason). It is necessary to test if the function has been called previously. Only one parameter is passed to the function originally. The second parameter is only needed the second time the function is called, and is handled internally by the function itself.

Func _Recursion($vData, $bRecursion = False)
    If Not $bRecursion Then _Recursion($vData, True)
    Return $vData
EndFunc

The code could easily be modified to prevent the user passing more than one parameter, however the syntax is nice and neat as it is. Like many functions, if you ignore the documentation (in this case passing the wrong number of parameters), the function will not perform as expected. Is it always necessary to add extra lines of code in case someone doesn't read or understand the documentation?

Edit - modified example

Edited by czardas

A better way to control the recursion level might be to use a local static variable.

Func _Recursion($vData)
    Local Static $iRecursionLevel = 1

If $iRecursionLevel > 1 Then
        Return $vData
    Else
        $iRecursionLevel += 1
        _Recursion($vData)
    EndIf
EndFunc

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

I have to stop writing pseudo code examples without testing them. :whistle: Bowmore, your approach only allows the function to work one time. Subsequent calls fail. Here's the alternative I was thinking of. It is more secure, but requires a whole new function (plus additional documentation). I just wonder - where does one draw the line? Isn't this just bloat code? I think this is a worthwhile question for debate.

ConsoleWrite(_CallRecursion(1) & @LF)
ConsoleWrite(_CallRecursion(2) & @LF)
ConsoleWrite(_CallRecursion(3) & @LF)

Func _CallRecursion($vData) ; UDF function
    Return _Recursion($vData)
EndFunc

Func _Recursion($vData, $bRecursion = False) ; Internal function
    If Not $bRecursion Then _Recursion($vData, True)
    Return $vData
EndFunc

Edit : On reflection it's probably better to do this for a UDF function, but I don't see it being necessary for an internal function. Comments have been added to the code above.

Edited by czardas

$b... in AutoIt Hungarian-like naming is binary. I think you meant $f.

Yeh, I don't get it either?!

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

$b... in AutoIt Hungarian-like naming is binary. I think you meant $f.

I take my info from wiki. UDF Spec ... $b = boolean and $f = float

Yeh, I don't get it either?!

For an example take a look at my function (it's the second example). I have decided to call this function using a second function to stop the user inputting more than one parameter. Edited by czardas

I meant I don't get why $f is boolean as it should be Float.

This is the link I was talking about. Mat's Wiki is currently unofficial. http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/udfs/UDF_Standards.htm

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Hmm, yeah that's confusing. I thought it had changed at one point and started to adopt Mat's recommendations which, incidentally, came highly recommended by others. It would be annoying to have to revert back to the old method: it took me long enough to get used to the new one. It looks like the link you posted is rather old and doesn't reflect some of the changes made since it was written.

Edited by czardas

Modified version of my function in #243 above so that it resets after the recursion is exited

Func _Recursion($vData)
Local Static $iRecursionLevel = 1

If $iRecursionLevel > 1 Then
        $iRecursionLevel = 1
        Return $vData
    Else
        $iRecursionLevel += 1
         _Recursion($vData)
    EndIf
EndFunc

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

:sorcerer:

A black heart magician of the night.

Cast bones to gain paranormal sight.

When wisdom dromes

but is not condoned.

Dealt is a card of fright.

Tell us why you invoke these senseless emoticons.

Edited by jaberwocky6669

The only real change I made was making binary data $d, I was going to make some decision on the boolean/float issue, but never got round to it. In my opinion, it should be:

$d - Binary *Data*

$f - Boolean (*F*lag)

$n - *N*umber aka. floats (we don't need 3 prefixes for different number types, a float is a superset (in a mathematical sense) of the integers, so number and float should be interchangeable)

In recent times I've stopped using that system religiously, using some other things like having control type prefixes ($btnOk, $inpName, $calBirthday, $ipServer) and for structs ($rcArea = DllStructCreate($tagRECT)). Usage prefix is always preferred to type prefix, that's why we use $tag rather than $s.

The prefix system has always been on the edge of the standard. It's more a recommendation to use some sort of system that other people would recognize when naming variables.

Edit: I knew I'd already said this somewhere. In the notes page for udf spec:

Variable naming is still a matter of personal style. As long as it's readable and makes sense then it is acceptable. That part remains a guideline as opposed to a standard.

Edited by Mat

Your suggested system is very good. Take variable names like $idID, mostly a digit and mostly an integer, It's almost begging to be used. I'm not keen on the idea of abandoning systematic reasoning for the sake of general consensus. I have been using your recommendations for some time already and I think they are clear and logical. The only thing missing is $kConst. ^^

Edited by czardas

• 1 month later...

An example of using multiple flags within a function:

#include <Constants.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    Local Const $IF_FLAG_ONE = 1, $IF_FLAG_TWO = 2, $IF_FLAG_THREE = 4 ; The values ideally should be: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 etc...

; An example of using flags (like in MsgBox) when using multiple parameters.
    Local $iFlag = $IF_FLAG_ONE + $IF_FLAG_THREE ; BitOR($IF_FLAG_ONE, $IF_FLAG_THREE) is preferred.

If BitAND($iFlag, $IF_FLAG_ONE) = $IF_FLAG_ONE Then MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', '$IF_FLAG_ONE was called.')
    If BitAND($iFlag, $IF_FLAG_TWO) = $IF_FLAG_TWO Then MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', '$IF_FLAG_TWO was called.')
    If BitAND($iFlag, $IF_FLAG_THREE) = $IF_FLAG_THREE Then MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', '$IF_FLAG_THREE was called.')
EndFunc   ;==>Example

UDF List:

Guinness,

how about a new tutorial in the wiki named "Best coding practices in AutoIt"?

That's the place where I would look for that kind of information. The forum would only be my 2nd place.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Right now I don't have the time, plus half the stuff I'm writing here I dunno if it's correct or not. It's what I've found on my travels and am really looking for confirmation from those that do know.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

A better way to write that example would be to use the Enum function, then you only have to assign the first value, less typing for the same result.

#include <Constants.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    Local Enum Step *2 $IF_FLAG_ONE = 1, $IF_FLAG_TWO, $IF_FLAG_THREE ; The values ideally should be: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 etc...
    ; An example of using flags (like in MsgBox) when using multiple parameters.
    Local $iFlag = $IF_FLAG_ONE + $IF_FLAG_THREE ; BitOR($IF_FLAG_ONE, $IF_FLAG_THREE) is preferred.

If BitAND($iFlag, $IF_FLAG_ONE) = $IF_FLAG_ONE Then MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', '$IF_FLAG_ONE was called.')
    If BitAND($iFlag, $IF_FLAG_TWO) = $IF_FLAG_TWO Then MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', '$IF_FLAG_TWO was called.')
    If BitAND($iFlag, $IF_FLAG_THREE) = $IF_FLAG_THREE Then MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', '$IF_FLAG_THREE was called.')
EndFunc   ;==>Example

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Good point, also remove the = 1 and you will see it produces the same result BrewManNH.

UDF List: