Good coding practices in AutoIt

guinness

Read the title of this thread. Questions like that should be redirected to General help and support.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I'm curious as to whether or not the code below could be deemed as 'good coding practice'?

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Local Const $aState[2] = ['False State', 'True State']
Local Const $bState = False ; This is equal to the integer value 0.
MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', $aState[Int($bState)]) ; Convert the boolean value to a 32-bit integer.
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

It's not very readable that way, if this were somewhere deep in the script, I'd need to find out what $aState contains, and what $fState equals before I could understand what you're doing in it.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

True.

I would do it like this though in the future...

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Local Const $bState = False ; This is equal to the integer value 0.
; v3.3.10.0+ and above or use _Iif.
MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', $bState ? 'True State' : 'False State')
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Model - View - Controller

Let's talk about something which I have only recently just begun to grasp. I grasp it well enough to describe it's basics. I hope. I will endeavor to provide a basic explanation and describe some methods to implement MVC into AutoIt scripts. At least one of you might say that this does not pertain to AutoIt. But it does I think.

The MVC pattern is many and varied. There does not seem to be one agreed upon method. There are other modern flavors too such as Model View Presenter and Model View ViewModel none of which I have begun to look into.

So let's begin with the model.

Model

The model knows how to perform your program's calculations. It has your algorithms. The model also has a database if your program has one. The model maintains your program's state. It's the brains of the operation.

View

This module manages your GUI essentially. This module doesn't perform its own program calculations. The view just takes the data that is feed to it and presents it on the screen.

Controller

This module coordinates the user's actions with the model and the view. If the user clicks on a button or enters information into an input field it then takes that information and does one or many things with it. The controller may take the information and give it to the model to store in a database. If a user clicks a button the controller may then ask the model for the result of a calculation. Then the controller may take this information from the model and give it to the view. For example it may take a list of customer names from the model and then give it to the view which may then update a listview control with that list.

The common method of MVC seems to be the following picture: (http://www.songho.ca/opengl/files/gl_mvc01.png)

Posted Image

The way that I use MVC in AutoIt is to leave out the arrow connecting the View and the Model. The controller can call functions in the View and can call functions in the Model. The model can not call functions in the Controller or the View. Conversely, the View may not call methods in the Model or the Controller.

Here is an oversimplified example:

Model.au3

#include-once

Func _model_get_username()
    Return @UserName
EndFunc

View.au3

#include-once

GUICreate("My Program", 100, 100)

Global Const $h_label = GUICtrlCreateLabel('', 10, 10, 80, 80)

Func _view_display_username(Const $username)
    GUICtrlSetData($h_label, $username)
EndFunc

Controller.au3

$include "View.au3"

$include "Model.au3"

Global Const $account_username = _model_get_username()

_view_display_username($account_username)

Do
    Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $gui_close_event
            Exit
    EndSwitch
Until False

I'm sure I will amend this document throughout the next day or two so check back. Fell free to offer enhancements etc.

Edited by jaberwocky6669

• 1 month later...

Using the Default keyword is a preferable choice when using the optional parameters of a custom function.

OnAutoItExitRegister('SomeFuncWrapper')
SomeFunc(10)

Func SomeFunc($iValue = 0, $sString = Default, $hVar = 0x00000000)
    ; If the Default keyword is passed then set the default parameter and thus you don't have to remember the optional parameters.
    If $iValue = Default Then $iValue = 0
    If $sString = Default Then $sString = 'SomeString'
    If $hVar = Default Then $hVar = 0x00000000
    ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : $iValue = ' & $iValue & @CRLF & '>Error code: ' & @error & @CRLF)
EndFunc   ;==>SomeFunc

Func SomeFuncWrapper()
    SomeFunc(Default, Default, Default)
    ; Instead of having to refer back to the function. e.g.
    ; SomeFunc(0, Default, 0x00000000)
    ; Because if you change the optional parameters of SomeFunc() and forget to update this function, then it could lead to problems.
EndFunc   ;==>SomeFuncWrapper

UDF List:

This improves the readability of not function. Parameters by default are unknown. For some functions just slows down work in a loop.

Func _ArrayDisplay(Const ByRef $avArray, $sTitle = Default, $iItemLimit = Default, $iTranspose = Default, $sSeparator = Default, $sReplace = Default, $sHeader = Default)
    If (Not IsArray($avArray)) Or (Not UBound($avArray, 1)) Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)

; Default values
    If $sTitle = Default Then $sTitle = "Array: ListView Display"
    If $iItemLimit = Default Then $iItemLimit = -1
    If $iTranspose = Default Then $iTranspose = 0
    If $sSeparator = Default Then $sSeparator = ""
    If $sReplace = Default Then $sReplace = "|"
    If $sHeader = Default Then $sHeader = ""

But you know as well as I do AZJIO, that a different approach would be adopted for using a function in a "tight loop".

UDF List:

I have been thinking about this and have come to the conclusion that advantages to using the Default keyword will often dependant on the order of parameters. There is no need to use the Default keyword for the last parameter since it can simply be omitted when calling the function. Using Default for the parameters in the following code would seem uneccessary since both default values need to be altered for anything to happen.

Func _ParamOrder($bSomething = False, $bSomethingTwice = False)
    If $bSomething And $bSomethingTwice Then ConsoleWrite("Hello World")
EndFunc

By default, the keyword Default is similar to False, so if the parameter by default is boolean, then it makes no difference to using False or Default. So in your snippet Default can be used as well.

UDF List:

What do you mean by "similar to False"?

MsgBox(0, "", Default = True)
MsgBox(0, "", Default = False)
both return False. The documentation for 3.3.8.1 states nothing about what you say. Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

No water, I didn't say it was False, I said it was similar.

#include <Constants.au3>

Local $bSomeVar = Default
If $bSomeVar Then MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', 'Variable is True (1)')

$bSomeVar = True
If $bSomeVar Then MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', 'Variable is True (2)')

$bSomeVar = False
If $bSomeVar Then MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', 'Variable is True (3)')
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Okay, I changed it.

Func _NewVersion($bSame_Thing = True, $bSame_Thing_Again = True)
If Not ($bSame_Thing And $bSame_Thing_Again) Then ConsoleWrite("Hello World")
EndFunc

Atention!

If you put Not in front a pair of parentheses, and inside is a keyword like AND / OR, AND will become OR and vice versa

Eg.

_NewVersion(False,True)
Func _NewVersion($bSame_Thing = True, $bSame_Thing_Again = True)
If Not ($bSame_Thing And $bSame_Thing_Again) Then ConsoleWrite("Hello World"&@LF)
EndFunc
Edited by PlayHD

Thanks PlayHD, that's good information. I didn't test what I wrote - which I should have done. I was mistaken to think that expressions are evaluated within parentheses first. :doh: I had intended the following behaviour, but my example is getting kind of silly.

If Not $bSame_Thing And Not $bSame_Thing_Again Then ConsoleWrite("Hello World" & @LF)

In any case, instead of boolean, the parameters could be numbers with a default value of zero. The function may depend on both values not being equal to zero to trigger an event. I don't see the advantage of using the Default keyword in such a scenario.

Edited by czardas

I read parameters in the first line

_ArrayDisplay(Const ByRef $avArray [, $sTitle = "Array: ListView Display" [, $iItemLimit = -1 [, $iTranspose = 0 [, $sSeparator = "" [, $sReplace = "|" [, $sHeader = ""]]]]]])

_ArrayDisplay(Const ByRef $avArray [, $sTitle = Default [, $iItemLimit = Default [, $iTranspose = Default [, $sSeparator = Default [, $sReplace = Default [, $sHeader = Default]]]]]])

I wouldn't want to read a detailed description to find out the default settings. To me the first line suffices. Edited by AZJIO

But most users should read the documentation not the code.

UDF List: