Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MyEarth

Search in a string / position

22 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have string like this:

Auto|it|is|funny|sometime

I want to know if ex. "funny" is in the string and return the position ( in the example the number 4 )

How to do that? Thanks

Function StringInStr?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

#3 ·  Posted (edited)

I have some problem, If i have 2 string named:

Auto

Autoit

And i want to search for "Autoit", give me the wrong result ( 1 instead of 2 )

But in general give me wrong result, i have search for the 6 element and give me 55 :D

Edited by MyEarth

Ok, I think you need something like this:

$sString = "Auto|it|is|funny|sometime"
$sSearch = "funny"
$aWords = StringSplit($sString, "|")
For $i = 1 To $aWords[0]
    If $aWords[$i] = $sSearch Then
        MsgBox(0, "Result", "Searchword '" & $sSearch & "' found at position " & $i)
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
Next

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Or you could use _ArraySearch

#include <Array.au3>
    $vString = "Auto|it|is|funny|sometime"

$vArray = StringSplit($vString, "|")

$vArraySearch = _ArraySearch($vArray, "funny")

ConsoleWrite($vArraySearch)

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]Pastebin UDF | Prowl UDF[/font]

Why don't you just search for |funny| ?

Not totally related, but might get you thinking.

#include <Constants.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    ; String to search for the word "auto".
    Local $sString = 'This is an automatic AutoIt string with auto text.'

; Case sensitive (use (?i:\bauto\b) for non-case sensitive. Replace the word auto with a unqiue search
    ; identifier.
    Local $sStringRename = StringRegExpReplace($sString, '(?:\bauto\b)', '_SEARCHSTRING1234_')

; Now use StringInStr to find the unique identifier.
    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', StringInStr($sStringRename, '_SEARCHSTRING1234_'))

; Traditional approach will find auto in automatic.
    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', StringInStr($sString, 'auto'))
EndFunc   ;==>Example

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 04/09/2015

#7 ·  Posted (edited)

Your string contains delimiters, so use them in the search. Ha guinness beat me to it.

Edited by czardas

The OP doesn't want to get the Character but the Word position.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

#9 ·  Posted (edited)

Result of StringInStr($string, $pattern) +1 ; if searching with the delimiter included.

Edited by czardas

Still not what the OP wants.

$sSearch = "|funny|"
ConsoleWrite(StringInStr($sString, $sSearch)+1 & @LF)

returns 12.

But the OP wants 4.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

And to make it find the first or last word you need to add the delimiter to both ends.

$sSearch = "sometime"
ConsoleWrite(StringInStr("|" & $sString & "|", "|" & $sSearch & "|") & @LF)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

The OP doesn't want to get the Character but the Word position.

No I see that when I re-read the problem again. Sorry.

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

First reading, then posting o:);)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Maybe this:

$sSearch = "funny"

$iWordPos = StringInStr($sString, $sSearch) + 1

$iWord = 1

For $i = 1 To $iWordPos -1
If StringMid($sString, $i, 1) = "|" Then $iWord += 1
Next

ConsoleWrite("Word number " & $iWord & @CrLf)

OS : Win XP SP2 (32 bits) / Win 7 SP1 (64 bits) / Win 8 (64 bits) | Autoit version: latest stable / beta.
Hardware : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10Ghz / 8 GiB RAM DDR3.

My UDFs : Skype UDF | TrayIconEx UDF | GUI Panel UDF | Excel XML UDF | Is_Pressed_UDF

My Projects : YouTube Multi-downloader | FTP Easy-UP | Lock'n | WinKill | AVICapture | Skype TM | Tap Maker | ShellNew | Scriptner | Const Replacer | FT_Pocket | Chrome theme maker

My Examples : Capture toolIP Camera | Crosshair | Draw Captured Region | Picture Screensaver | Jscreenfix | Drivetemp | Picture viewer

My Snippets : Basic TCP | Systray_GetIconIndex | Intercept End task | Winpcap various | Advanced HotKeySet | Transparent Edit control

Sometimes the problem isn't what was originally described.

I just re-read the original post. The user seems to be quite clear what he wants.

I've seen a lot of posts where the user lets us guess what he wants. This one even gives us example data and an expected result.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

#17 ·  Posted (edited)

Besides the obvious StringSplit solution, here's an alternative method.

Local $sString = "Auto|it|is|funny|sometime"
Local $pattern = "funny"
Local $iposition = StringInStr("|" & $sString & "|", "|" & $pattern & "|")

Local $sStringLeft, $iOccurence = 0
If $iposition Then
    $iOccurence += 1
    $sStringLeft = StringLeft("|" & $sString, $iposition -1)
    While StringInStr($sStringLeft, "|", 0, $iOccurence)
        $iOccurence += 1
    WEnd
EndIf

MsgBox(0, "", $iOccurence)

It's similar to what FireFox posted.

Edited by czardas

Another method.

Local $vString = "Auto|it|is|funny|sometime" ; or "Auto it is funny sometime" ;
Local $sFind = "funny"
Local $iNum = UBound(StringRegExp($sFind, "(" & StringRegExpReplace($vString, "(\W+)", ")|(") & ")", 3))

MsgBox(0,"Results",'"' & $sFind & '" is word number #' & $iNum & ' in "' & $vString & '"' & @LF)

; Returns:-
; "funny" is word number #4 in "Auto|it|is|funny|sometime"

As always there are many ways to skin a cat.

I'm curious which of the solutions is preferred by the OP.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Another method.

Local $vString = "Auto|it|is|funny|sometime" ; or "Auto it is funny sometime" ;
Local $sFind = "funny"
Local $iNum = UBound(StringRegExp($sFind, "(" & StringRegExpReplace($vString, "(\W+)", ")|(") & ")", 3))

MsgBox(0,"Results",'"' & $sFind & '" is word number #' & $iNum & ' in "' & $vString & '"' & @LF)

; Returns:-
; "funny" is word number #4 in "Auto|it|is|funny|sometime"

Nice example Malkey.