Wiki Challenge Part 2

czardas

Wiki Challenge II  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the examples (in posts 2 and 3) do you think is most suited for a beginner?

• Example 1
    • Example 2
    • Example 3
    • Example 4
    • Example 5
    • Example 6

I didn't like the "automation task" term to show what AutoIt can do whereas to show the power of AutoIt in 39 lines is impossible.

Br,

UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

Overall I think that the real and ultimate winner should be and probably will be AutoIt.

Besides, in order to show the wide range of possibilities AutoIt, suggest at the end, improve each of the examples, and each put on the Wiki.

Of course, the word is said, and someone needs to get a cup :)

mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

What is now the designated end time ?

I apologize for my lack of orientation.

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Maybe put some advanced examples on wiki.

Then the AutoIt big hitters can strut their stuff.

I suggest on our Wiki

Create a list of advanced complete solutions (I mean ready-to-use AutoIt programs , possible without the need to use them as UDF).

.... and then this list (ie. a link to it) to put on the general Wiki.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

I agree it is looking much more definitive or clearer now.

But I would also suggest, that the comments are almost as valuable as the votes.

Still, they will no doubt continue in earnest after the judgment is in ... hopefully so anyway.

P.S. On a side note, that is related, it would be interesting to know the average number of times in a given day/week/month/year/etc that a member visits the forum. Obviously when looking for answers and especially asking questions, someone could be here quite a few times a day, but other visitors for a variety of reasons, would be here based on other criteria.

I myself, used to regularly visit a few times a week, just to keep tabs on what was appearing in the Examples section, but that tapered off as there was less need (personally) for many of the examples posted. At some point, I got hooked into discussions in Chat, so that became my main focus of visits for a while. Becoming an MVP changed my focus somewhat, though I went through an intensive programming period for a few years, which took most of my focus, and my visits were less. There was a time when I virtually never looked in at Developer Chat, as that seemed outside my skillset, but I visit fairly evenly over the board now in most sections of the forum.

P.S.S. I'm mentioning the above of course, because there would be those willing or wanting to vote, who may only visit once or twice a week, but then they are probably not really the target audience ... which was the reason i didn't try to drum up votes in the Examples (etc) sections.

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

So, it's 5:19 am here, 10:19 am GMT.  Ooops, looks like I've been slack!

Shall I go ahead and formally announce the winner?

Edited by jaberwacky

Still the 23rd here, and 9pm (2100 hours).

Does the challenge finish at the start of the 23rd or end?

I took it to be Midnight at the end, but realize we live in a wide variety of time zones.

Ooops, looks like I've been slack!

I wouldn't worry, as it is not a race.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Good question.  I reread the 1st post which says it lasts three days.  If I recall, it started on the 20th. So, I think the time has come to reveal the truth.

There will be a dramatic pause before I continue however.  Stay tuned.

Edit: Your question hasn't been answered I realize.  I don't know actually.  Awaiting furthur instruction.

Edited by jaberwacky

I won't hold my breath ... though I will get the tissues ready. :

May the best man (or woman) win! :thumbsup:

Spoiler

userbar.png

Meh, I'm going to do it.

Without furthur ado.

Example 1: kylomas

Example 2: UEZ

Example 3: kylomas

Example 4: UEZ

Example 5: TheSaint

Example 6: czardas -- AUTOIT CHAMPION!

Ha ha, I had an idea it might have been czardas for that one. ;)

Congratulations czardas!

Well done. I agree it is a goody! :thumbsup:

Commiserations to the other two.

Great efforts guys.

And thanks for making the attempts ... two each no less. Good on ya! :thumbsup:

No doubt, it was pretty clear all along, that 5 was mine. :P

Did any of you notice that the comments had been mistakenly left off mine, and then re-instated upon my request, only to have them criticized  :sweating:  ... imagine how I felt then. :  :muttley:

Did anyone notice mine was 33 lines, not 32? Not that the final Exit was needed.

Let the discussions begin! :D

Spoiler

userbar.png

OMG, I had intended this to go until midnight in the UK. At least jaberwacky doesn't have to stay awake until an unearthly hour tonight. Before anyone cries foul, I added my entry to boost the choices, and as a participant I couldn't exert any influence over the competition's deadline once voting started.

I believe that some valuable comments have been made here and I am grateful for all those who participated, but also a little sad that we didn't get more people voting. I liked all of the entries for one reason or another. The first one I ran was TheSaint's entry and I thought it was great. UEZ's ying yang was even more impressive, and although it is a fantastic example, I agree with other people's comments that it is ideally suited to more advanced audience.

I think the best comment was made by mLipok:

Overall I think that the real and ultimate winner should be and probably will be AutoIt.

I was slightly embarrassed about the English word calculator and would like to thank JohnOne for his solution. I have learned a lot through this process myself and I hope to prove mLipok right. The first 24 hours was a bit nail-biting for me: when the standings were even. I think all the participants will agree with me when I say this was a tough endeavour: not so much in terms of coding but more in terms of reading other people's criticism.

If I were able to cast a vote myself, I would have voted for TheSaint's entry. You have all been a great inspiration and thanks again to TheSaint for trying to drum up more enthusiasm from all the other forums. It resulted in a landslide. :D

Thanks everyone.

Edit:

I think a small recess is in order before tackling the article. If anyone has any any further constructive comments to add, please don't keep them to yourself.

Edited by czardas

Well, said, and I also guessed UEZ must have done one, though not which.

Never guessed kylomas did though.

Would have been fun, if we had added a Guess Who vote or bet ... though my style was probably a dead giveaway ... despite using uncommon declarations (for me).

You made me chuckle a little with your last paragraph from >Post #60, when I first saw it.

P.S. I was going to vote for yours if I could have (after seeing BrewManNH vote), and that's when I re-read the first post, just to make sure it was allowed.

P.S.S. Sad I didn't get even one vote  :  .... oh well, like I said to jaberwacky when I provided it, I thought it was the complex side of simple. Yours nailed it I thought, having that catchy little Leap Year element. I tried to do the same with my loop for doing each character, but really I tried to put too much into my example.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Then I wouldn't do anything with GDI+ ;)

Congrats czardas.  :thumbsup:

I should have leave the rotation from Yin Yang out - it made it a little bit more looking complicated...

Br,

UEZ

:ILA2:

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

I think the best comment was made by mLipok:

Thanks

I was slightly embarrassed about the English word calculator and would like to thank JohnOne for his solution. I have learned a lot through this process myself and I hope to prove mLipok right.

For me this was the cause not choose this example.

I do not understand context of your statement can you elaborate ?

I think a small recess is in order before tackling the article. If anyone has any any further constructive comments to add, please don't keep them to yourself.

I think first we must put here our emotional comments, time for constructive come in the next step :)

EDIT:

I forgot to say: Congrats czardas.

Edited by mlipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler