mysterious $i & $h

I like the way you modified the text. Replacing "good/bad" and describing the intention for same practices makes it easier for users to accept and understand the coding practices.

Do you think "k" for keywords is being used? I've never seen this prefix "in the wild".

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Thanks water. There's more to come. :) I haven't seen $k used for keyword and If it has been used, I doubt it has been used much. Certainly constants are commonly used and I think it's a good idea to make them stand out.

Perhaps it's arbitory, but 'c' isn't generally used because it denotes the speed of light. That has to be why 'k' became the popular choice. It's a long time since I did a physics class though.

After a quick search, I found this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5016622/where-does-the-k-prefix-for-constants-come-from

Edited by czardas

I assume American spelling is prefered over English spelling for the wiki. I sometimes have to think which spelling is correct. In Britain, American English is considered a corruption of the proper language, but it is most widely used on the internet. Someone should make a conversion utility in AutoIt. :)

Thoughts! :think:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences

The UK spelling is no more right or wrong than the US spelling, they're both variations on a theme of French, Greek, Latin, Germanic languages, etc. Anyone stating that the UK spelling is the only "correct" way doesn't understand the history of the English language.

After all , only about 10% of English is actually derived from older variations of English, the rest are almost all borrowed or made up recently. Plus due to the history of the the internet, the flavor of English that most people read these days is the US version.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Aussie English, is of course, the only proper English, being based on the good elements of the others. :thumbsup:

We accept no bullshit here ... those from New South Wales and Victoria, excepted, who say some things funny-like ... though not quite as bad as New Zealand ... our other state, in all but name ... and a few other unimportant things. :muttley:

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences

The UK spelling is no more right or wrong than the US spelling, they're both variations on a theme of French, Greek, Latin, Germanic languages, etc. Anyone stating that the UK spelling is the only "correct" way doesn't understand the history of the English language.

After all , only about 10% of English is actually derived from older variations of English, the rest are almost all borrowed or made up recently. Plus due to the history of the the internet, the flavor of English that most people read these days is the US version.

I have to think which spelling is correct in the sense that, when writing, I'm not always sure whether there is an alternative spelling or not. I think there are also alternative spellings within British English. I don't believe that American and English spellings should be mixed in a technical document. I wasn't suggesting that American spelling is incorrect, merely that there is a common conception that it is a corrupted version of the language. I'm not responsible for other people's conceptions and I agree completely with everything you said.

Well, you know, it stands to reason that British English, with all its variations, is what both American and Australian English is based on. It came first, by a considerable length of time.

However, the versions in all three places and others (New Zealand, South Africa, etc) has kept evolving.

It's always been evolving, even in Britain.

To say that one is more correct than another, is perhaps an oxymoron, though all other places should regard England as the defacto birthplace, despite it's earlier heritage based in wider European languages.

On a technical level, one could postulate that True English, does indeed come from England, though English today there is not what it was, no doubt due to the same push and pull factors from immigrants etc that other English based countries have experienced. You only have to look at the type of initial English migrants to places like America and Australia, to see why they differ so. That together with so many new names for new things and behaviors, etc.

At the end of the day, you just need to ask yourself, which is the more intelligent version of bastardized English, and I'm sure you will all agree, that you just can't look past the humble Aussie. ;):P:D

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Yep, we take our time, and think about how to use the language properly.

Just look at the humble Pie Floater from my neck of the woods.

I'm sure both British and American persons have been eating pies and pea soup for eons, but who thought of combining them?

That's right, we did, and the wonderful name of Pie Floater, was born.

For those who are ignorant of such fine culinary matters, a Pie Floater, is a bowl of pea soup, with a meat pie floating upside down in it, smothered with tomato sauce (ketchup to you Yankees).

A wonderful treat late at night, after being at the pub and having too many drinks.

Just the right thing to sober you up.

Purchased from a Pie Cart of course.

It works best, if both are so hot, they scald your mouth.

But you don't care .... the booze has done it's preparatory job.

Aussie English - The language of practical perfection and commonsense use.

Spoiler

userbar.png

That sounds more like a slow Texas drawl, you nimwit.

We may think slow, but we act fast ... that's why we won the second world war, despite having the allies as a handicap.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Any ideas what the word 'transition' refers to in this sentence?

Maybe he is talking about "distinction"? As a non native speaker this is the only word that came to my mind and which makes a bit of sensein this context.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

That's a hint, right :)

My English isn't good enough to express what was meant. Didn't want to replace a bad sentence with a worse one ;)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Did I write that sentence? It doesn't look like something I would say.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Is it relevant to know who wrote this sentence? No.

It's relevant that nobody understands what it means. So it needs to be changed.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Is it relevant to know who wrote this sentence? No.

It's relevant that nobody understands what it means. So it needs to be changed.

I was merely ascertaining if I wrote that sentence so I could possibly help.

PS. Lets not detract from what is important please. If I wrote that sentence then maybe I can help, as I probably meant to say something different, but often I have to do a lot of editing as I tend to change sentence structure midway through writing.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

I've have been pondering over this next section. There are some things I'm not entirely sure about. I believe the $g is a suggestion by valik. Looking a little deeper, $e is a constant (usually an integer) and microsoft constants use upper-case (not mentioned). Therefore certain statements such as 'The prefix defines the logical data type' is only partly true. There is also no mention of how constants should be written. I don't suggest that capitals should always be used for constants, but I think something should be said about this in the section on Globals.

Personally I'm not keen on the idea of using $e for enumerations, because it creates yet another number prefix (making 4 types altogether: $f, $i, $n & $e). I'm beginning to think that prefixes which do not define type should be separated from those that do. Either do that or add $g to the list in the first section and create subsections for each exception where data type is irrelevant. This has been a stumbling block for me at this particular stage. Also the order of sections may need changing.

Edited by czardas

As mentioned in the PM, these are the official standards of AutoIt when writing the examples and help file.

###Parameters###
Parameters naming:
The first letter signifies the expected type of the variable. This should be as follows: 
    $a<letter> - Array (the following letter describes the data type taken from the rest of the data types below,
        if it varies then v can be used.
    $d - Binary data.
    $h - Handle, usually to a file or window. NB: AutoIt handled controls return IDs, and so use $id instead.
    $id - An AutoIt control Id.
    $i - Integer.
    $b - Boolean.
    $f - Floating point number.
    $n - General number with no preference for floating point or integer.
    $s - String.
    $v - Variant (unknown/variable type of data).
    $o - COM object.
    $p - Pointer. It is assumed that it points to a struct so no further letters are needed.
        The type of struct being pointed to should be inferrable from the variable name e.g. $pWindowRect can be assumed to be a pointer to a $tagRECT structure.
    $t - Structure returned from DllStructCreate().
    $tag - Struct definition string. Structure definitions should conform to the structure guidelines.

This convention applies also to Local/Global variables. Global variables must have an extra first letter "g" e.g. g_sVar. UDF global variables must start with an underscore e.g. $_g_sVar.
Const/Enum variables are better if they are defined in UpperCase to illustrate that they cannot be changed. First letter of the constant is optional, $e can be used.
Note: Global variables should only be used if they are called from more than one function or used in another scope. For example if the variable is only used in main scope
regardless of not in a function, then it should be declared using Local.
Before someone points the finger at me, these have been around longer than I have, albeit jpm and myself have made minor changes. Edited by guinness

UDF List: