[SOLVED] GUICtrlSetBkColor - reset button back to default color?

Using GUICtrlSetBkColor() to change the color of a button when pressed. When it presses another button, I want this one to go back to what the default color was.Help file doesn't specify a way to 'reset' it back to its default, and color-picking won't work as the default color scheme doesn't use a solid color on the buttons (there's a fade effect).I didn't see any other functions that could get the bkcolor property of a button either or else I'd store it prior to the initial change.Me thinks the only way to do this is to destroy the button and re-create it?

Edited by mechaflash213
Spoiler

“Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a boat with the man your man could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an oyster with two tickets to that thing you love. Look again, the tickets are now diamonds. Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

Look at GUICtrlGetColor in my signature as well as _Flash in my profile (under snippets.)

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Tested your example for GUICtrlGetColor(), noticed it uses _WinAPI_GetPixel() which only looks at the color of a single pixel in the control... which is exactly what it did in the output.

By default, the buttons have a gradient to them which the function can't get.

Also tried using _WinAPI_GetSysColor() with all of the parameters specified in the help file to no avail.

Edited by mechaflash213
Spoiler

“Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re on a boat with the man your man could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an oyster with two tickets to that thing you love. Look again, the tickets are now diamonds. Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady. I’m on a horse.”

• Moderators

mechaflash213,

Be very careful about colouring buttons. There is a bug deep in the core code (#376) which creates problems when buttons are coloured - it is so deep-seated that there is no chance of it being fixed any time soon, if ever. :(

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

I'm with Melba23 on this one. I don't colour buttons not just because of the bug but also the 'tacky' look it adds to the UI. I'm content with using the default colour provided by Windows and from an article I read (no link I'm afraid) creating a UI that fits with the OS is better and easier for the end user to use,

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

I think this is the wrong way to go. Look here for a direction:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb761849(v=vs.85).aspx

Br,

UEZ

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

I don't know whether is approach is a good idea but try it:

#include <ButtonConstants.au3>
#include <Constants.au3>
#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

Global $hGui = GUICreate("Test", 255, 178)
Global $iButton1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Test 1", 38, 26, 75, 49)
GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFFFF00)
Global $iButton2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Reset 1", 38, 96, 75, 49)
Global $iButton3 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Test 2", 140, 26, 75, 49)
GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0xFF0000)
Global $iButton4 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Reset 2", 140, 96, 75, 49)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1
    Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            GUIDelete()
            Exit
        Case $iButton1
            GUICtrlSetBkColor($iButton1, Random(0x600000, 0xFFFFFF, 1))
        Case $iButton2
            ResetButtonColor($hGUI, $iButton1, "iButton1")
        Case $iButton3
            GUICtrlSetBkColor($iButton3, Random(0x600000, 0xFFFFFF, 1))
        Case $iButton4
            ResetButtonColor($hGUI, $iButton3, "iButton3")
    EndSwitch
WEnd

Func ResetButtonColor($hGUI, $iButtonID, $sVar, $sHBtn = "") ;coded by UEZ 2012 build 2012-07-26
    Local $hButton = GUICtrlGetHandle($iButtonID)
    If Not $hButton Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    If Not _WinAPI_IsClassName($hButton, "Button") Then Return SetError(2, 0, 0)
    If Not IsHWnd($hGUI) Then Return SetError(3, 0, 0)
    If Not IsDeclared($sVar) Then Return SetError(4, 0, 0)
    If $sHBtn And Not IsDeclared($sHBtn) Then Return SetError(5, 0, 0)
    Local $aPos = ControlGetPos($hGui, "", $iButtonID)
    If @error Then Return SetError(6, 0, 0)
    Local $iStyle = _WinAPI_GetWindowLong($hButton, $GWL_STYLE)
    If @error Then Return SetError(7, 0, 0)
    Local $iExStyle = _WinAPI_GetWindowLong($hButton, $GWL_EXSTYLE)
    If @error Then Return SetError(8, 0, 0)
    Local $sButtonText = _WinAPI_GetWindowText($hButton)
    If @error Then Return SetError(9, 0, 0)
    GUISwitch($hGUI)
    Local $hBtnBmp = _SendMessage($hButton, $BM_GETIMAGE, 0, 0, 0, "wparam", "lparam", "hwnd")
    Local $hBtnIco = _SendMessage($hButton, $BM_GETIMAGE, 1, 0, 0, "wparam", "lparam", "hwnd")
    GUISetState(@SW_LOCK, $hGUI)
    GUICtrlDelete($iButtonID)
    Local $iButton = GUICtrlCreateButton($sButtonText, $aPos[0], $aPos[1], $aPos[2], $aPos[3], $iStyle, $iExStyle)
    Local $hBtn = GUICtrlGetHandle($iButton)
    Assign($sVar, $iButton)
    If $sHBtn Then Assign($sButtonText, $hBtn)
    If $hBtnBmp Then _SendMessage($hBtn, $BM_SETIMAGE, 0, $hBtnBmp)
    If $hBtnIco Then _SendMessage($hBtn, $BM_SETIMAGE, 0, $hBtnIco)
    GUISetState(@SW_UNLOCK, $hGUI)
    Return 1
EndFunc

Br,

UEZ

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

I don't know whether is approach is a good idea but try it:

It looks like you're just destroy/recreating the button?

Spoiler

Yes, and that's why I think this is not the best approach.

Br,

UEZ

Currently I have it implemented that way. I separated the creation/destruction of the buttons in their own functions to make it easier, assigning them to a global array so any changes made will always be caught.

It works... but like you, I don't like taking this approach. However, I may not have a choice.

Spoiler

For me it is very hard to understand the syntax of the C/C++ code which provided on many sites.

I tried it using subclassing to modify the color of the button but I failed.

Then this idea came up...

Br,

UEZ

It's easy.

GUICtrlSetStyle($Button, 0)

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

wow... it was that simple... I would've never thought to change it's style to reset it...

Spoiler

I learnt something new today.

UDF List: