Rhazz

I have a syntax error in an operation! Give me a tiny help, please!

10 posts in this topic

Hello! I have a "syntax error" but I can't understand where is it. Can you help me with this?

There is two text files. I want to write three lines of the first file in each line of the second file. Then, if the first file has 600 lines, the second file should have 200 lines.

I hope I have explained well what I want.

#include <File.au3>
Local $sFile1
$sFile1 = "File1.txt"
Local $sFile2
$sFile2 = "File2.txt"
Local $sThreeLinesIntoOne
FileOpen($sFile1,0)
FileOpen($sFile2,2)
For $i In ( _FileCountLines($sFile1) / 3 )
   For $a = ( ( $i - 1 ) * 3 ) + 1 ) To ( $i * 3 )
   $sThreeLinesIntoOne = $sThreeLinesIntoOne & FileReadLine($sFile1, $a)
   Next
FileWriteLine($sFile2, $sThreeLinesIntoOne)
Next
FileClose($sFile2)
FileClose($sFile1)

AutoIt returns:

error: syntax error
For $a = ( ( $i - 1 ) * 3 ) + 1 )

You missed an opening parentheses

For $a = ((( $i - 1 ) * 3 ) + 1 ) To ( $i * 3 )

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

#3 ·  Posted (edited)

You missed an opening parentheses

For $a = ((( $i - 1 ) * 3 ) + 1 ) To ( $i * 3 )

hahaha I was thinking that the error should be a tiny mistake... but my brain is out for today haha Thanks!

But now I have another error:

Variable must be of type "Object".:
For $i In ( ( _FileCountLines($sFile1) )  / 3 )

Edited by Rhazz
add text

I didn't found the solution... and today I'm going to get crazy... sorry for my questions >.<

Variable must be of type "Object".:
For $i In ( (_FileCountLines($sFile1))  / 3 )
For $i In ( (_FileCountLines($sFile1))  / 3 )^ ERROR

Did you read HelpFIle TWICE , or more times ?
Why you are using   "For .. in ... next"    for   normal loop ?

btw.
your expression:

( (_FileCountLines($sFile1))  / 3 )

again missed one opening bracket.

( ((_FileCountLines($sFile1))  / 3 )

Wondering who uses AutoIT and what it can be used for ?

ADO.au3 UDF     POP3.au3 UDF     XML.au3 UDF    How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x  for other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Last update: 2017-03-27
Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAPPOP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 - BETA * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * WinSCP UDF *

My contribution to others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  *

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Best coding practices * 

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities *

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Did you read HelpFIle TWICE , or more times ?
Why you are using   "For .. in ... next"    for   normal loop ?

btw.
your expression:

No, I didn't forget a parenthesis. You placed in your code four opening parentheses and three closing parentheses.

And yes, I have read the help file but I'm newbie on AutoIT, and I'm here to learn and improve my programing skill.

I haven't understood why it's wrong to use a "for" loop in my code, sorry!

#7 ·  Posted (edited)

Rhazz,

As explained in the Help file, you should only use the "For...In...Next" type of loop when dealing with a collection (an Object or an Array). In this case you are using an integer - and so you get an error, again explained in the Help file. Do it like this:

For $i = 1 To (_FileCountLines($sFile1) / 3 )

as the "For...To...Next" loop expects number bounds.

M23

Edited by Melba23
Typo
1 person likes this

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind._______My UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

btw.
your expression:

oops.. :mad2:

1 person likes this

ADO.au3 UDF     POP3.au3 UDF     XML.au3 UDF    How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x  for other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAPPOP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 - BETA * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * WinSCP UDF *

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Best coding practices * 

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities *

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Rhazz,

As explained in the Help file, you should only use the "For...In...Next" type of loop when dealing with a collection (an Object or an Array). In this case you are using an integer - and so you get an error, again explained in the Help file. Do it like this:

For $i = 1 To (_FileCountLines($sFile1) / 3 )

as the "For...To...Next" loop expects number bounds.

M23

Yes, I had misunderstood that part :s

With "For...To..Next" it works, thanks!

I'm reading the Help File for all of the things that I want to do haha and sometimes I make stupid mistakes xD

We learn from mistakes
It is a pity that often on their own :)

1 person likes this

Spoiler