Syntax Highlighting in RichEdit element

Hi everybody.

Could you tell me is there any UDF that can help to highlight syntax in the _GUICtrlRichEdit element on the fly?

Is it possible to implement this feature in script in simple way using some UDF or something, instead of writing thousand of strings manually?

Thanks in advance.

It was discused here on the forum few times for Au3 Syntax.
For what Language you need it ?

EDIT:

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

I've tried your UDF, and it is not exact what I want.

I want to implemnt syntax highlighting for the text on the fly. That means it should work like syntax highlighting in Notepad++ or like in Sublime Text editors. The user shouldn't push any button to highlight text in the editor.

Thanks.

UPD: I found some script that works very similar with my requirements. But it can't react when I edit some text that has been already written. Could you help me fix it?

Thanks.

#include <guiconstantsex.au3>
#include <guirichedit.au3>
#include <windowsconstants.au3>
#include <misc.au3>
opt('guioneventmode', 1)
global $g_hrichedit

doit()

func doit()
   local $hgui, $imsg, $idbtnnext, $istep = 0
      $hgui = guicreate("", 320, 350, -1, -1)
      $g_hrichedit = _guictrlrichedit_create($hgui, "", 10, 10, 300, 220, _
      bitor($es_multiline, $ws_vscroll, $ws_hscroll, $es_autovscroll))
      guisetonevent($gui_event_close, '__exit')
      guisetstate(@sw_show)
      global $dll_32 = dllopen('user32.dll')
      sleep(2000)

while 1
      sleep(100)
            $last = 1000000
            if (_ispressed(11, $dll_32) = false) and (_ispressed("08", $dll_32) _
            or _ispressed(41, $dll_32) or _ispressed(42, $dll_32) or _ispressed(43, $dll_32) _
            or _ispressed(44, $dll_32) or _ispressed(45, $dll_32) or _ispressed(46, $dll_32) _
            or _ispressed(47, $dll_32) or _ispressed(48, $dll_32) or _ispressed(49, $dll_32) _
            or _ispressed('4a', $dll_32) or _ispressed('4b', $dll_32) or _ispressed('4c', $dll_32) _
            or _ispressed('4d', $dll_32) or _ispressed('4e', $dll_32) or _ispressed('4f', $dll_32) _
            or _ispressed(50, $dll_32) or _ispressed(51, $dll_32) or _ispressed(52, $dll_32) _
            or _ispressed(53, $dll_32) or _ispressed(54, $dll_32) or _ispressed(55, $dll_32) _
            or _ispressed(56, $dll_32) or _ispressed(57, $dll_32) or _ispressed(58, $dll_32) _
            or _ispressed(59, $dll_32) or _ispressed('5a', $dll_32)) then

for $i = 1 to 2  
                        guisetcursor(-1, '', $hgui)
                        _guictrlrichedit_pauseredraw($g_hrichedit)
                        $pos1 = _guictrlrichedit_getcharposofpreviousword($g_hrichedit, $last)
                              if $pos1 < 0 then
                                    $i = 2
                              else
                                 _guictrlrichedit_setsel($g_hrichedit, $pos1, $last)
                                 $last = $pos1
                                 $text = _guictrlrichedit_getseltext($g_hrichedit)
                                       if stringregexp($text, '(?:^func[ ]{0,100}$|^endfunc[ ]{0,100}$|^if[ ]{0,100}$|^endif[ ]{0,100}$)') then
                                                _guictrlrichedit_setcharcolor($g_hrichedit, 0x000099)
                                                _guictrlrichedit_setsel($g_hrichedit, -1, -1)
                                       elseif stringregexp($text, '(?:^include[ ]{0,100}$)') then
                                                _guictrlrichedit_setcharcolor($g_hrichedit, 0x009900)
                                       else
                                                _guictrlrichedit_setcharcolor($g_hrichedit, 0x000000)
                                       endif
                                 _GUICtrlRichEdit_GetCharPosFromXY($g_hrichedit, $hCharPos[0], $hCharPos[1])
                              endif
                  next
            _guictrlrichedit_resumeredraw($g_hrichedit)
            endif
    wend
endfunc

func __exit()
            dllclose('user32.dll')
            exit
endfunc

Edited by kashamalasha

• 1 year later...

Hey there

I wanted to bump this thread to the top because that's exactly what i need.

A way to highlight syntax "on the fly", meaning that if the person pastes code on it, the RichEdit control will read the text pasted, and change the color for every word matched (In AU3 syntax)

Exactly like SciTE, so far i could only do it for last word.

I have figured a way to detect every single word in the AU3 functions, so the only thing i need is: Avoid user from pasting formatted text (i.e. from helpfile) - Highlight syntax when user pastes it (i.e. like if i pasted a code in SciTE) - get the line number where the insertion point is at  - And create a line bar for every line in the RichEdit input, that also scrolls with it

I know im probably asking for too much, but any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by DynamicRookie
Grammar :c

Could you use scite dll? 

Edit.

I mean implement scite control in your own gui ?

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

I copied the keywords in scite files for AutoIt highlighting and cleaned them to make an array with fileread, then i just use the array to detect what type of keyword it is and change its color, sadly it doesn't work for pasted text.

About the SciTE control, i'd be amazed if someone could get it and put it on a new gui.

Edited by DynamicRookie

• Developers
21 minutes ago, DynamicRookie said:

About the SciTE control, i'd be amazed if someone could get it and put it on a new gui.

It is the Scintilla control in file scilexer.dll, not SciTE, and It has been done a few times already and a prime example is:

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

2 minutes ago, Jos said:

It is the Scintilla control in file scilexer.dll, not SciTE, and It has been done a few times already and a prime example is:

Jos

Thanks Jos,

Then, how i could make Scintilla control detect language and highlight the syntax?

Edited by DynamicRookie
Grammar

• Developers
1 hour ago, DynamicRookie said:

Then, how i could make Scintilla control detect language and highlight the syntax?

Just asking this question means you have no idea yet how the Scilexer works. :)  
There is a lot documented on all the calls you can do so guess you need to start there when you are really interested, but be prepared to take that steep learning curve! ;) 

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

Maybe this is a nice one to start with: 

.. but you will soon see that building an editor like SciTE takes effort. :)

Jos 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Look also here:

Signature beginning:

Spoiler