Scite comes up occasional, almost incidentally, in some support topics.  I have not found a "Scite" topic in the forums, so this is where I will start.  I have recently been using Scite intensively, specifically with a large project and I have certain issues.  I know that Scite is not an AutoIt product, but it is so closely integrated to the core release that it makes sense to raise issues and request support here.  If this is not the right please refer me to the right forum.

Thx :)

Skysnake

Edited by Skysnake
typo

Skysnake

Why is the snake in the sky?

commenting blocks of code

Scite allows the following

; this is a comment

If 'x' Then 'y' ; inline comment :)

#comments-start
pit your comment here
#comments-end

If 'a' then 'b'

#cs
another comment
#ce

If 'c' then 'd'

It appears that these are case sensitive, or maybe this is just my installation.

I have the following issue... If I want to mark a whole block quickly, not with the '#comment-start/end' commands, how do I do that?  

At the moment I move with the arrow keys and simply type ';' in the left margin of all the lines I want to block...

Recently, I also find that nested comments become unblocked - I am pretty sure that the previous version did not work like this. EDIT Please note the way the code below appears is NOT the same as it appears on my local computer

#comment-start
If 'z' then 's' ; a comment (correct)

#cs
;this should remain commented
#cs 
; a nested comment
if 'f' then 'g' ; this should remain commented!
#ce
#comments-end

My Scite console output

>"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\..\AutoIt3.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.au3" /run /prod /ErrorStdOut /in "C:\AutoIt\blah\getAvatar.au3" /UserParams    
+>11:04:51 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.17.224.935.0 SciTE v.3.7.3.0   Keyboard:00000409  OS:WIN_10/  CPU:X64 OS:X64  Environment(Language:0409)  CodePage:0  utf8.auto.check:4
+>         SciTEDir => C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE   UserDir => C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper   SCITE_USERHOME => C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE 
>Running AU3Check (3.3.14.2)

Skysnake

Edited by Skysnake

Skysnake

48 minutes ago, Skysnake said:

Scite allows the following

Ummm... isn't it AutoIt's syntax? As far as I know, SciTE only does code highlighting and wraps other excellent wrappers like Au3Check :D

I don't get the point of this thread...

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

• Developers
1 hour ago, Skysnake said:

It appears that these are case sensitive, or maybe this is just my installation.

Should not be case sensitive in AutoIt3, so give me an example that doesn't work for you.

At the moment I move with the arrow keys and simply type ';' in the left margin of all the lines I want to block...

I select the lines I want to comment and use Ctrl+Q ...  Much easier.

Recently, I also find that nested comments become unblocked

For me it shows a Nested comment block fine with your shown code. What do you see? Is the first #CE ending both #CS and #CommentStart?

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Developers
5 hours ago, TheDcoder said:

I don't get the point of this thread...

Then maybe you should have refrained from commenting, as there are pretty clear questions there?;)

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Thx

I select the lines I want to comment and use Ctrl+Q ... Much easier. 

Will definitely do that in future. :)

What do you see? Is the first #CE ending both #CS and #CommentStart?

Yes, that is a good description.  But only when the inner #cs&#ce pre-exist and I add the #comments-start manually... :(

And here is the pic

nestedcomment.png

Thank you

Skysnake

Edited by Skysnake

Skysnake

• Developers

Which version are you running as it works fine for me and I know I have done some changes to it in the current beta available SciLExer.dll ?
Give that one a try when you haven't yet.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Easiest place to see this would be...? The Console output? I do not see the SCITE version info in the console...

BTW - I run this "out of the box" - straight download off the server and onto my computer...

Skysnake

Edited by Skysnake

Skysnake

• Developers

SciTE Menu / Help /About SciTE. ;)
The out-of-the-box version that comes with AutoIt3 or with the extra SciTE4AutoIt3 installer? The About will tell you that too. 

Anyways, as stated, I have made a Beta version available with some fixes for this specific topic. Just rename the current SciLexer.dll and download the current beta version to try. This does require the SciTE4AutoIt3 installer version.

Jos 

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Is this enough info?

SciTE
Version 3.7.3 
    Feb 16 2017 21:41:17
by Neil Hodgson.
 Updated by Jos
Check the SciTE4AutoIt3 Homepage for Updates
December 1998-February 2017.

Skysnake

9 minutes ago, Jos said:

so did you try that SciLExer.dll from the Beta download page?=

Just as a side note / question: Whether SciLExer.dll version is related to specyfic SciTE.exe ? In other worlds I want to ask if this Beta sciLExer.dll will be working fine with older SciTE.exe ?

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

Good to know.
Thanks.

mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

more on #comments-start and -end...  What is the possibility of addindg "Region" -like definitions to comments?

Then something like this would be possible (pseudo code)

#Region ************* GUI layout ******************

GuiCreate("MyGui")
#comments-start #only use with xyz
x
y
z
#comments-end #only use with xyz

GuiCtrlCreateWidget("MyWidget")

#EndRegion ************* GUI layout ******************

Or is there a better way that should be used?

Skysnake

• Developers
11 hours ago, Skysnake said:

more on #comments-start and -end...  What is the possibility of addindg "Region" -like definitions to comments?

Is your question whether you can manually do this or rather you like Tidy to do this for you like it does for #Region sections?

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Both, actually...

It think it would be neat if its a standard feature.  But if I can set up my Tidy/Scite like that it would be awesome!!!

As to manually, when I type anything AFTER #comments-start  ; my text - I get errors... my comment markers are ignored... 

Please advise?

Skysnake

Hmm, now it works exactly the way I wanted... :sweating:

; read all _color_??? image files to array
    Local $aColorFileList = _FileListToArray(@ScriptDir, "_color_*")

#comments-start -- uncomment this section for debug info
        ; Display the results returned by _FileListToArray.
        _ArrayDisplay($aColorFileList, "$aFileList")
        ConsoleWrite("Show comment with trailing text issue" & @CRLF)
    #comments-end -- uncomment this section for debug info

; Create a GUI with various controls.
    Local $hGUI = GUICreate("Example", 400, 100)
    Local $thePic = GUICtrlCreatePic("", 0, 0, 400, 4) ; LTWH
    Local $theColorname = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 8, 8, 400, 20) ; LTWH

Sorry for the bother.  When I DO find the issue I will post again.

Skysnake

• Developers

Maybe the space was missing behind the statement.
Do "we/others" feel the same need that Tidy gets the option to copy the comments behind #cs/#comment-start to the #ce/#comment-end, similar to #region?

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.