zorphnog

log4a - A logging UDF

zorphnog

I routinely need to log information for my scripts. In the past, I've usually just created functions in each script to write to a log file. I also use ConsoleWrite in conjunction with SciTE a lot when I'm trying to debug scripts. After using some logging libraries for other languages (namely NLog (C#) and Java (log4j)) I decided to write a logging UDF for AutoIt. I decided to base it loosely upon the log4j and NLog libaries. I say loosely because this one is not nearly as feature rich as either one of those, but I think it still provides a nice logging interface.

What can it do?

• Output types: Console, File, or Both. Additionally, you can configure the logger to output differently based on whether the script is compiled or not. This way you can output to the console (SciTE) while you're writing a script, and output to a log file when you've compile the script.
  • Log levels: While I don't think it's really necessary to have this many log levels, these are the levels in ascending order of severity:
    • Trace
    • Debug
    • Info
    • Warn
    • Error
    • Fatal
  • Log Filtering: The log can be enabled and disabled. There are also minimum and maximum log levels that can be configured to only show a range of log levels (i.e. a minimum level of warn would not log messages for trace, debug, or info). These filter levels can be overridden when logging a message if the need be.
  • Error Stream: Logging can be configured to write to the stderr (i.e. ConsoleWriteError). When enabled, any log messages at the error level and above will be written to the error stream.
  • Message Format Macros: The logging message format can be customized to your liking using the following macros:
    • ${date} = Long date (i.e. MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM:SS)
    • ${host} = Hostname of local machine
    • ${level} = The current log level
    • ${message} = The log message
    • ${newline} = Insert a newline
    • ${shortdate} = Short date (i.e. MM/DD/YYYY)

Available Functions:

• Configuration Functions
    • _log4a_SetCompiledOutput - Sets the logging output type for the compiled version of the script (Default: $LOG4A_OUTPUT_FILE)
    • _log4a_SetEnable - Enables or disables logging messages (Default: Disabled)
    • _log4a_SetErrorStream - Enables or disables logging of the standard error stream (Default: Enabled)
    • _log4a_SetFormat - Configures the format of logging messages (Default: "${date} ${level} ${message}")
    • _log4a_SetLogFile - Sets the path of the log file (Default: "<ScriptFullPath>.log")
    • _log4a_SetMaxLevel - Configures the maximum log level to process messages (Default: $LOG4A_LEVEL_FATAL)
    • _log4a_SetMinLevel - Configures the minimum log level to process messages (Default: $LOG4A_LEVEL_TRACE)
    • _log4a_SetOutput - Sets the logging output type for the non-compiled version of the script (Default: $LOG4A_OUTPUT_CONSOLE)
  • Logging Functions
    • _log4a_Debug - Logs a message at the debug level
    • _log4a_Error - Logs a message at the error level
    • _log4a_Fatal - Logs a message at the fatal level
    • _log4a_Info - Logs a message at the info level
    • _log4a_Message - Logs a message to the configured outputs
    • _log4a_Trace - Logs a message at the trace level
    • _log4a_Warn - Logs a message at the warn level

See the source file for full documentation of available functions.

A quick example script:

#include "log4a.au3"

; Enable logging and don't write to stderr
_log4a_SetEnable()
_log4a_SetErrorStream(False)
log_messages()

; Write to stderr, set min level to warn, customize message format
_log4a_SetErrorStream()
_log4a_SetMinLevel($LOG4A_LEVEL_INFO)
If @compiled Then _log4a_SetMinLevel($LOG4A_LEVEL_WARN) ; Change the min level if the script is compiled
_log4a_SetFormat("${shortdate} | ${host} | ${level} | ${message}")
log_messages()

; Disable logging (except for those that override)
_log4a_SetEnable(False)
log_messages()

Func log_messages()
  _log4a_Trace("A TRACE message", True) ; overrides filters
  _log4a_Debug("A DEBUG message")
  _log4a_Info("A INFO message")
  _log4a_Warn("A WARN message")
  _log4a_Error("A ERROR message", True) ; overrides filters
  _log4a_Fatal("A FATAL message")
EndFunc

Without further adieu, the UDF:
log4a.au3

Edited by zorphnog
  • Like 3

Amundo

Sorry to necropost, but this is awesome!

Thanks very much for this!

mmoalem

ok so completely nubee here and wondered if I can use this to generate a log of all the commands in my script as they are executed? I have a script that runs on a server 24/7 and i want to know, in case the server crash, where was the script interupted...

mLipok

@zorphnog

Nice UDF.

Question: Whether you can implement this concept:

to your UDF ?

Signature beginning:   Wondering who uses AutoIT and what it can be used for ?
* GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST API *
ADO.au3 UDF     POP3.au3 UDF     XML.au3 UDF    How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x  for other useful stuff click the following button

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST API *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF *

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * 

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2018-03-17

dubi
"D:\...Multi_ToFileV003_stripped.au3"(1753,73) : warning: $__aLog4aLevels: possibly used before declaration.
Local $sLine = __log4a_FormatMessage($sMessage, $__aLog4aLevels[$eLevel])
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
"D:\...Multi_ToFileV003_stripped.au3"(1753,73) : error: $__aLog4aLevels: undeclared global variable.
Local $sLine = __log4a_FormatMessage($sMessage, $__aLog4aLevels[$eLevel])
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^

Apologies that I have to pull this older topic up again...
I wanted to uses this UDF and I am getting an error when compiling my script (which is necessary). In the UDF $__aLog4aLevels is declared as const but when searching it in the stripped version of my file I cannot find the const-definition there either. Is this an Autoit Version issue? How can I overcome this?

Needless to say that I have included the UDF into my include-list...

Thank you

BrewManNH

That variable is declared in line 35 of the posted UDF as an array.

It seems that the stripped file might be missing it, the function got rearranged after stripping, or some other weirdness happened.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

dubi

good hint - thank you. I have added the declaration manually into the stripped file and compiled this and ... see - it works. Weired indeed...

Thank you

vick

Hi,

How i can use this UDF in my automation script so if script fails i can open log file and check where it went wrong pls?

thanks,

JLogan3o13

@vick we operate on the "teach a man to fish" motto in this forum, rather than spoon-feeding you code. What have you tried on your own? Have you downloaded the UDF and had a go at the different functions? What isn't working for you? Help us help you.

√-1 2^3 ∑ π, and it was delicious!

vick

Hi,

I have downloaded this UDF and put in include folder and added it in script. but my question is do i have to create any function for log again in script ?

i am looking for simple example where in script it is used to get log so i can do it same in my script and verify it.

thanks,

Earthshine

You are AWESOME!! Thanks SO MUCH for the logger! Works wonderful! I use this for everything and it has been so successful as I have been trying to build an automation software test tool set to test our applications! This has been a lifesaver, and, when instrumented with proper logging, you really don't need a debugger.

Thank the original poster of this thread SO MUCH!!

Edited by Earthshine

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

n3wbie

Can Someone Provide Some More Examples Where in there are actual Errors In Script and I can Get Output

I tried example script given above

My Basic Doubt is do i need to Call Logmessages() again and again in script?

or if i just once write it it will start logging

M unable to understand Script or its level above my understanding level

Earthshine
Posted (edited)

you have to add the debug, trace, etc.. type of messages you want where you want them in the code. I log lots of things.

First, in your main script, include the log4a.au3 file and configure the logging for your application or main script like so: that way it will log to console if run under editor, or log to a .log file when compiled.

#include "log4a.au3"

#Region ;**** Logging ****
_log4a_SetEnable()
_log4a_SetErrorStream()
_log4a_SetMinLevel($LOG4A_LEVEL_TRACE)
If @compiled Then _log4a_SetMinLevel($LOG4A_LEVEL_WARN) ; Change the min level if the script is compiled
_log4a_SetFormat("${date} | ${host} | ${level} | ${message}")
#EndRegion ;**** Logging ****

Then you can do stuff like this in other modules

#include-once
#include <Timers.au3>
#include "log4a.au3"

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Name ..........: _waitControlClick
; Description ...: Automatically wait for a control to exist. Forever or Limited
; Syntax ........: _waitControlClick($formclass, $text, $ctrl, $ctrltxt, $timeout, $delayafter
; Parameters ....: $formclass           - Form Class info.
;                  $text                - Windows Forms text to match
;                  $ctrl                - Class of Copntrol
;                  $ctrltxt             - Text of the Control you search for
;                  $timeout             - [Optional] Timeout, Default = 0, millisecond timer
;                  $delayafter          - [Optional] Time to delay after operation carried out
; Return values .: None
; Author ........: Earthshine
; Modified ......:
; Remarks .......:  Waits for each button indefinatly.
;                   Logger found here: https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/156196-log4a-a-logging-udf/
; Related .......:
; Link ..........:
; Example(s) ....:  _waitControlClick ('[CLASS:#32770]', 'ApplicationX - InstallShield Wizard', '[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:1]', , '&Next >' 5000, 0)
;                   _waitControlClick($formclass, $text, $button2, $TD_BTN_REMOVE, 0, 0)
;                   _waitControlClick($formclass, $text, $button3, $TD_BTN_NEXT, 0, 500)
;                   _waitControlClick($formclass, $text, $button1, $TD_BTN_YES, 0, 0)
;                   _waitControlClick($formclass, $text, $button4, $TD_BTN_FINISH, 0, 0)
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func _waitControlClick($formclass, $text, $ctrl, $ctrltxt, $timeout = 0, $delayafter = 0)
    _log4a_Info("_waitControlClick():Begin")
    _log4a_Info("Searching for Formclass: " & $formclass)
    _log4a_Info("Searching for Text: " & $text)
    _log4a_Info("Searching for Control: " & $ctrl)
    _log4a_Info("Searching for Ctrl Txt: " & $ctrltxt)
    _log4a_Info("Timeout: " & $timeout)
    _log4a_Info("Time Delay (after click): " & $delayafter)
    Local $time_run = _Timer_Init()
    While (1)
        If WinExists($formclass) Then
            Local $hCtrl = ControlGetHandle($text, '', $ctrl)
            If $hCtrl Then
                If ($timeout > 0) Then
                    _log4a_Info(_Timer_Diff($time_run))
                    If (_Timer_Diff($time_run) > $timeout) Then
                        _log4a_Info("ExitLoop:Timeout - " & $ctrl)
                        ExitLoop
                    EndIf
                EndIf
                Local $hCtrlHandle = ControlGetText($text, '', $ctrl)
                _log4a_Info("Control Text Search: " & $ctrltxt)
                _log4a_Info("Control Text Found: " & $hCtrlHandle)
                If ($hCtrlHandle == $ctrltxt) Then
                    ; we got the handle, so the button is there
                    ; now do whatever you need to do
                    _log4a_Info("Found Formclass: " & $formclass)
                    _log4a_Info("Found Text: " & $text)
                    _log4a_Info("Found Control: " & $ctrl)
                    _log4a_Info("Found Ctrl Txt: " & $ctrltxt)
                    _log4a_Info('Control ' & $ctrl & ' Clicked')
                    ControlClick($formclass, '', $ctrl)
                    If ($delayafter > 0) Then
                        Sleep($delayafter)
                    EndIf
                    _log4a_Info("ExitLoop:Normal - " & $ctrl)
                    ExitLoop
                EndIf
            EndIf
        EndIf
    WEnd
    _log4a_Info("_waitControlClick():End")
EndFunc   ;==>_waitControlClick

Here is the sample script listed above, using each type of message and how you log it. The log_messages() function is only a crude example to show you the different ways you can configure the logger. Notice you call that little function to show you the log settings you are configuring. You are just supposed to use the methods provided by the UDF to log your Warnings, Errors, Information or Fatal types

#include "log4a.au3"

_log4a_SetEnable()
log_messages()

_log4a_SetErrorStream()
log_messages()

_log4a_SetEnable(False)
log_messages()

Func log_messages()
EndFunc

first call to log_messages()

05\22\2018 09:36:08 Debug A DEBUG message
05\22\2018 09:36:08 Info A INFO message
05\22\2018 09:36:08 Warning A WARN message
05\22\2018 09:36:08 Error A ERROR message
05\22\2018 09:36:08 Fatal A FATAL message

2nd call to log_messages() configured to display messages in style below

05\22\2018 | BUILD1 | Trace | A TRACE message
05\22\2018 | BUILD1 | Info | A INFO message
05\22\2018 | BUILD1 | Warning | A WARN message
05\22\2018 | BUILD1 | Error | A ERROR message
05\22\2018 | BUILD1 | Fatal | A FATAL message

3rd call produces this due to configured settings. notice only these two get through due to the third and last config option in the test above

05\22\2018 | BUILD1 | Trace | A TRACE message
05\22\2018 | BUILD1 | Error | A ERROR message

Edited by Earthshine
  • Like 1

My resources are limited. You must ask the right questions

n3wbie
19 hours ago, Earthshine said:

you have to add the debug, trace, etc.. type of messages you want where you want them in the code. I log lots of things.

First, in your main script, include the log4a.au3 file and configure the logging for your application or main script like so: that way it will log to console if run under editor, or log to a .log file when compiled.

#include "log4a.au3"

#Region ;**** Logging ****
_log4a_SetEnable()
_log4a_SetErrorStream()
_log4a_SetMinLevel($LOG4A_LEVEL_TRACE)
_log4a_SetFormat("${date} | ${host} | ${level} | ${message}")
#EndRegion ;**** Logging ****

Then you can do stuff like this in other modules

#include-once
#include <Timers.au3>
#include "log4a.au3"

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Name ..........: _waitControlClick
; Description ...: Automatically wait for a control to exist. Forever or Limited
; Syntax ........: _waitControlClick($formclass, $text, $ctrl, $ctrltxt, $timeout, $delayafter
; Parameters ....: $formclass           - Form Class info.
;                  $text                - Windows Forms text to match
;                  $ctrl                - Class of Copntrol
;                  $ctrltxt             - Text of the Control you search for
;                  $timeout             - [Optional] Timeout, Default = 0, millisecond timer
;                  $delayafter          - [Optional] Time to delay after operation carried out
; Return values .: None
; Author ........: Earthshine
; Modified ......:
; Remarks .......:  Waits for each button indefinatly.
;                   Logger found here: https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/156196-log4a-a-logging-udf/
; Related .......:
; Link ..........:
; Example(s) ....:  _waitControlClick ('[CLASS:#32770]', 'ApplicationX - InstallShield Wizard', '[CLASS:Button; INSTANCE:1]', , '&Next >' 5000, 0)
;                   _waitControlClick($formclass, $text, $button2, $TD_BTN_REMOVE, 0, 0)
;                   _waitControlClick($formclass, $text, $button3, $TD_BTN_NEXT, 0, 500)
;                   _waitControlClick($formclass, $text, $button1, $TD_BTN_YES, 0, 0)
;                   _waitControlClick($formclass, $text, $button4, $TD_BTN_FINISH, 0, 0)
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func _waitControlClick($formclass, $text, $ctrl, $ctrltxt, $timeout = 0, $delayafter = 0)
    _log4a_Info("_waitControlClick():Begin")
    _log4a_Info("Searching for Formclass: " & $formclass)
    _log4a_Info("Searching for Text: " & $text)
    _log4a_Info("Searching for Control: " & $ctrl)
    _log4a_Info("Searching for Ctrl Txt: " & $ctrltxt)
    Local $time_run = _Timer_Init()
    While (1)
        If WinExists($formclass) Then
            Local $hCtrl = ControlGetHandle($text, '', $ctrl)
            If $hCtrl Then
                If ($timeout > 0) Then
                    _log4a_Info(_Timer_Diff($time_run))
                    If (_Timer_Diff($time_run) > $timeout) Then
                        _log4a_Info("ExitLoop:Timeout - " & $ctrl)
                        ExitLoop
                    EndIf
                EndIf
                Local $hCtrlHandle = ControlGetText($text, '', $ctrl)
                _log4a_Info("Control Text Search: " & $ctrltxt)
                _log4a_Info("Control Text Found: " & $hCtrlHandle)
                If ($hCtrlHandle == $ctrltxt) Then
                    ; we got the handle, so the button is there
                    ; now do whatever you need to do
                    _log4a_Info("Found Formclass: " & $formclass)
                    _log4a_Info("Found Text: " & $text)
                    _log4a_Info("Found Control: " & $ctrl)
                    _log4a_Info("Found Ctrl Txt: " & $ctrltxt)
                    _log4a_Info('Control ' & $ctrl & ' Clicked')
                    ControlClick($formclass, '', $ctrl)
                    If ($delayafter > 0) Then
                        Sleep($delayafter)
                    EndIf
                    _log4a_Info("ExitLoop:Normal - " & $ctrl)
                    ExitLoop
                EndIf
            EndIf
        EndIf
    WEnd
    _log4a_Info("_waitControlClick():End")
EndFunc   ;==>_waitControlClick

Here is the sample script listed above, using each type of message and how you log it. The log_messages() function is only a crude example to show you the different ways you can configure the logger. Notice you call that little function to show you the log settings you are configuring. You are just supposed to use the methods provided by the UDF to log your Warnings, Errors, Information or Fatal types

#include "log4a.au3"

_log4a_SetEnable()
log_messages()

_log4a_SetErrorStream()
log_messages()

_log4a_SetEnable(False)
log_messages()

Func log_messages()
EndFunc

On the Point what i was confused for

Thanks For This example Will Use It!