Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kevinsyel

Deleting Arrays (mem management)

4 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I'm still fairly new to this board, and just board search has helped a lot lately in general, requiring me not to post much.

My Question now is, if I create an array (and more specifically a 2 dimensional array) that I'm checking, and using the "ReDim" function as needed to increase the size as need-be, do I need to delete the array at the end of it's scope to maintain memory management?

I'm most accustomed to C++ with pointers and new-ing them into arrays, and the importance of deleting them at the end of the code. I as just wondering if their is a way to do this or if there is a Garbage collecting system in effect.

I tried the old RTFM but there's nothing really on this topic and I felt I should ask to clarify this.

Thanks for all your help!

AutoIt cleans up everything when the code ends.

1 person likes this

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

As well as destroying an array by reassigning a single value e.g.

Local $aArray[5]
; Enter code to manipulate Array.
$aArray = 0
1 person likes this

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 04/09/2015

Cool, thanks for the tip on destroying arrays. I'm going to use this on Arrays I know I don't need anymore.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• TheDcoder
      By TheDcoder
      Hi, I have a 2D array with 2 columns, the 1st column contains a "version string" and the 2nd column contains a generic string. I want to sort it in the descending order so the latest version comes first.
      #include <Array.au3> Local $aVersionsAndReleases[4][2] = [["0.2.8.9", "Release #1"], ["0.2.9.10", "Release #3"], ["0.2.9.11", "Release #4"], ["0.2.8.10", "Release #2"]] _ArraySort($aVersionsAndReleases, 1) ConsoleWrite(_ArrayToString($aVersionsAndReleases, ' - ')) _ArrayDisplay($aVersionsAndReleases) Unfortunately, _ArraySort isn't working here . This is the output generated by the script:
      0.2.9.11 - Release #4 0.2.9.10 - Release #3 0.2.8.9 - Release #1 0.2.8.10 - Release #2 The expected result should be:
      0.2.9.11 - Release #4 0.2.9.10 - Release #3 0.2.8.10 - Release #2 0.2.8.9 - Release #1 I am looking to develop an function which does this... but I don't know where to start . Can someone help me get started? Thanks in Advance!
      - TD.
    • rcmaehl
      By rcmaehl
      Alright, currently I'm trying to merge two loops:

Local $aArray[99][13] For $iLoop = 1 to 100 $aArray[$iLoop - 1][0] = RegEnumKey("HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration", $iLoop) If @error <> 0 Then ReDim $aArray[$iLoop - 1][13] ExitLoop EndIf Next For $iLoop1 = 0 to UBound($aArray, 1) - 1 For $iLoop2 = 1 to 12 $aArray[$iLoop1][$iLoop2] = RegEnumKey("HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\" & $aArray[$iLoop1][0], $iLoop2) If @error <> 0 Then ExitLoop Next Next  
      into one. Here's what I have so far:

Local $aArray[99][13] For $iLoop1 = 0 to UBound($aArray, 1) - 1 For $iLoop2 = 0 to 12 ConsoleWrite("Loop1 = " & $iLoop1 & ", Loop2 = " & $iLoop2 & @CRLF) If $iLoop2 = 0 Then $aArray[$iLoop1][0] = RegEnumKey("HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration", $iLoop1 + 1) If @error <> 0 Then ReDim $aArray[$iLoop1 + 1][13] ExitLoop EndIf Else $aArray[$iLoop1][$iLoop2] = RegEnumKey("HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\" & $aArray[$iLoop1][0], $iLoop2) If @error <> 0 Then ExitLoop EndIf Next Next And it keeps error-ing out trying to exceed the dimension range of the array. Does the Loop not recheck the size of the array after the original check or am I doing something else wrong.

Thanks.
    • StillLearningThisStuff
      By StillLearningThisStuff
      Hello all,
      Summary: I have a basic piece of code that is to be a part of a much larger project; I just can't seem to get the right output. I'm retrieving two lots of powershell data into 2 x 1d arrays and trying to add them into a single 2d array. Retrieving the data together into the 2d array seemed harder, due to the application names varying too much to string split. Data being pulled is application name and GUID. From here I will use this info in a drop down box and an uninstall button to run the required command to remove the selected software (have this sorted already).
      Problem: When I merge the data it doesn't put the application name and GUID on the same row in differing columns eg. my test box has 24 applications plus some superfluous data from Powershell to be cleaned up by the _arraydeletes. Instead I end up with an array with 58 rows and 2 columns; whereas my temp 1d arrays have 28 rows. As you can see I've tried both _ArrayInsert and _ArrayAdd but I still get the same result.
      Question: Is there something that I'm doing wrong in putting the data into the 2d array or do I just need to do some more post processing to tidy it up and align the names and GUIDs?
      Code:
      #include <Array.au3> $Cmd1 = (" /c Powershell.exe " & Chr(34) & "Get-WmiObject -Class win32reg_addremoveprograms | where {$_.ProdID -like " & Chr(34) & Chr(123) & Chr(42) & Chr(125) & Chr(34) & "} | select DisplayName" & Chr(34)) $Cmd2 = (" /c Powershell.exe " & Chr(34) & "Get-WmiObject -Class win32reg_addremoveprograms | where {$_.ProdID -like " & Chr(34) & Chr(123) & Chr(42) & Chr(125) & Chr(34) & "} | select ProdID" & Chr(34)) Global $aNameGUID[1][2] ;_ArrayDisplay($aNameGUID) ReadApps($Cmd1,0) ;_ArrayDisplay($aNameGUID) ReadApps($Cmd2,1) _ArrayDisplay($aNameGUID) Terminate() Func ReadApps($Command,$col) $DOS = Run(@ComSpec & $Command, "", @SW_HIDE, $STDERR_CHILD + $STDOUT_CHILD) ProcessWaitClose($DOS) $DOSOut = StdoutRead($DOS) ;MsgBox(0,"Data",$DOSOut) ;Show the line items that we want in the array Local $tmpArray = StringSplit(StringTrimRight(StringStripCR($DOSOut), StringLen(@CRLF)), @CRLF) If @error Then MsgBox(0,"FAIL","I failed to find objects") Exit Else _ArrayDisplay($tmpArray) EndIf ;_ArrayDelete($tmpArray, 3) ;_ArrayDelete($tmpArray, 2) ;_ArrayDelete($tmpArray, 1) ;$tmpArray[0] = $tmpArray[0] - 3 For $i = 0 To UBound($tmpArray) - 1 ;_ArrayAdd($aNameGUID, $tmpArray[$i], $col) _ArrayInsert($aNameGUID, 0, $tmpArray[$i], $col) Next $tmpArray = 0 EndFunc ;==>ReadApps While 1 Sleep(1500) WEnd Func Terminate() Exit 0 EndFunc ;==>Terminate Thanks in advance,
      Luxyboy
    • UEZ
      By UEZ
      Some Graphical Examples using GDI+ Vol. II build 2016-05-07 (33 examples)

This is the continuation of "Some Graphical Examples using GDI+ Vol. I" with currently 33 examples in "snippet style".

For downloads and screenshots just visit the download section.

All examples should properly run on Win7+ operating systems / tested on AutoIt v3.3.14.2!

More examples will follow from time to time.

Thanks to Eukalyptus!

Please report any issues / feel free to post any comment.

Have fun.
    • UEZ
      By UEZ
      Some Graphical Examples using GDI+ Vol. II (33 examples)

This is the continuation of "Some Graphical Examples using GDI+ Vol. I".

Have fun.