Wiki Challenge Part 2

czardas

Wiki Challenge II  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the examples (in posts 2 and 3) do you think is most suited for a beginner?

• Example 1
    • Example 2
    • Example 3
    • Example 4
    • Example 5
    • Example 6

• Moderators

I did? 

Perhaps I was paying less attention to the initial thread than I thought :) I was under the impression submissions went to you and then you submitted the top two. If I am mistaken, then my apologies to J1 for taking us down the rabbit hole unnecessarily.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Oh, I have no idea what I'm talking about.  Yeah, that's what happened.  Submissions went to me and I sent them to czardas on the due date. 

Hah, well, not the top two.  All of them.  :P

Edited by jaberwacky

I accept full responsibility because this was my idea. I wanted to engage everyone in something that can be both productive and fun at the same time. I very much appreciate the support given by those who have participated, or intend to participate this time round. Things like this are seldom perfect.

Edit - clarification

Edited by czardas

If anyone thinks this challenge is easy, then they are obviously smarter than me.

1. Coming up with an idea, is somewhat difficult. Especially when you are trying to illustrate ease of use, power and also impart understanding.

2. Coding it, is relatively easy, except you are trying not to display a one trick show pony, so there is a degree of complexity.

3. Fitting it inside 32 lines of code, is not terribly hard, unless you are trying to make things easy to understand and visually non-complex.

That last, is the hard bit I'm finding out, for I feel that you either need to give a detailed commentary or make things so obvious, that a commentary is not really needed. Making things obvious though, takes extra lines of code, more variables, etc. At least, it seems that way to me. o:)

Excuses excuses! :P

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

It just won't be the same with only six dwarves ... though I'm sure that, not many will miss Grumpy. :

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Time for voting has finally arrived. A poll has been added to the first post for you to cast your vote. Please read the first post again before voting. You have approximately 3 days to decide which you think is best. The entries for this challenge are in the >second and >third posts of this thread. Good luck to everyone. :)

Edited by czardas

My thoughts so far, I have only looked at 3.

Example 1 requires 3rd party application to be installed.
I'm not sure I could describe Example 2 as an automation task.
Example 3 assumes a number of files exist in script directory, and also assumes I believe quite an uncommon drive letter exists.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

I Think now is voting time, not for discussion.

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

I think you are spot on, all reasons why i voted for #4.  Visually impressive, compact, and native.

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

I am not sure who the audience is for these examples, but the only two that would be for a beginner would be #5 or #6. As for the other ones, I agree with what has already been said

#4 is really nice though.

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

"Everybody catches up with everyone, eventually" 

"As you teach others, you are really teaching yourself."

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

AutoIt Snippets | Multple Guis | Interrupting a running function | Another Send

StringRegExp | StringRegExp Help | RegEXTester | REG TUTOR | Reg TUTOT 2

AutoItSetOption | Macros | AutoIt Snippets | Wrapper | Autoit  Docs

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

Replace $ghGDIPDll with $__g_hGDIPDll

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

Some of the examples are not universal, eg. Do not work on other language versions of Windows.
Some do not work because the system settings (I think, it is possible that I am wrong).
Some examples are too complicated (for me at least, taking into account guidance from the opening post).
Some do not meet the assumptions of "comply to standard coding practices", at least in my understanding, (I am thinking of naming variables).

Before the vote, I had an internal struggle, I myself with myself.
I chose not what I liked the most, as I was driving to the assumptions, and my understanding of them.
So I chose what to my humble opinion, the most suited to the initial assumptions.

If it will be possible after the vote, I would happily call the appropriate patch (not necessarily have to be taken into account).

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

mLipok - Perhaps it was a bit of a last minute rush for one or two entrants. Maybe they saw the thread a little late like JohnOne did previously. You are entitled to voice constructive criticism as far as I am concerned: I don't think anyone will mind that. The good thing is that small details can easily be ironed out. You are voting for the code you like best at the end of the day.

Well, what is complicated and what not, what is a good example for a beginner what not is not easy to answer because it depends on the individual's talent for coding.

Example:

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Global Const $iTimeout = 30
MsgBox($MB_APPLMODAL, "AutoIt Lesson 1", "Hello world!", $iTimeout)

This is a very easy example but is it a good example?

For me, a beginner should be able to analyze the code and try to understand using the help file and searching the AutoIt forums.

All these examples should be easy to understand if you spend some time for analyzing which should be prerequisite if you want to learn.

Br,

UEZ

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

Some do not meet the assumptions of "comply to standard coding practices", at least in my understanding.

Like you said, remember who we are talking about here.

A beginner is likely to have no understanding about standard coding practices.

The idea, should be NOT to baffle them about unknown concepts.

Rather it is to show them how easy it is to use AutoIt, and if possible how powerful or useful it can be.

Once they start their programming journey, they have all the time in the world to learn the finer points of coding etiquette etc.

As I've said elsewhere, the example should not really be couched as a tutorial or lesson, but rather as an enticement.

EDIT

That last is my personal belief anyway. Others may have a different take.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Well, what is complicated and what not, what is a good example for a beginner what not is not easy to answer because it depends on the individual's talent for coding.

For me, a beginner should be able to analyze the code and try to understand using the help file and searching the AutoIt forums.

All these example should be easy to understand if you spend some time for analyzing which should be prerequisite if you want to learn.

I would go further, and say, that they should be able to look at the code, and have a reasonable degree of understanding, without having to go elsewhere. Having to go elsewhere, could be a deterrent for some. Especially if you are looking for simplicity, which is indeed one of AutoIt's excellent selling points.

Remember we are talking about three basic kinds of interested people ... though there are many variants.

[1] Complete beginner with no experience.

[2] A beginner with a little experience, who has possibly failed with or been disappointed with other languages.

[3] A beginner who has experience with other languages.

P.S. We are indeed limited in this endeavor, by what the budding programmer would conceive as complex and or outside their comfort zone.

Ideally, the ones judging this challenge, should be a bunch of beginners, the targeted audience.

Most of us here, are not really subjective enough, because we have too much understanding and knowledge.

It may seem an easy challenge to some some, but I think not.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

Ideally, the ones judging this challenge, should be a bunch of beginners, the targeted audience.

Most of us here, are not really subjective enough, because we have too much understanding and knowledge.

It may seem an easy challenge to some some, but I think not.

Good point.

Unfortunately, as far I can see a small number of votes.

I hope that after the vote, no one will have, to me resentment.
Because I think they (examples) are all interesting and good, but I could only choose one.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

I voted for #3 only because it can be run on any system. 

#1 requires CCleaner to be installed on the computer to even run it.

#2 is impossible to read, too many comments and not nearly enough whitespace around them

#4  is not a good example script to demonstrate the language, it's just too complicated as a beginner's example.

#5 has comments that aren't accurate, and it uses Send which probably wouldn't work well if the user doesn't know that practically anything they do on the computer is going to cause it to break the script.

#6 requires an english language version of Windows, and also uses send.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator