ID3 Clean

llewxam

I was trying to clean up my MP3 collection and was not happy.  Not happy because apps claiming to remove all ID3 tags were leaving lots behind.  What do geeks do when they are not happy?  Yup, do it themselves!

It turned out to be MUCH more difficult than I had imagined!  ID3V1 are easy, they come at the end of the file and are fixed length.  ID3V2 are insane, and can be many times the size of the song itself!  Combine that with other re-tagging or tag removal apps doing a bad job at housekeeping and you can have some pretty broken tags.

MP3 files are designed to be streamable and are built in packets called frames.  The frame headers contain information such as sample rate, samples per frame, bitrate, and padding, and those 4 key pieces of information are used to determine how many bytes the frame will be.  Of course it isn't actually that simple, since some of those factors depend on what MPEG version it is and if it is layer 1, 2, or 3.  But once you find a good header and can get the frame length, you jump to the next position and check to see if it is a valid header, get the frame length, rinse and repeat.  It is suggested to verify at least 3-5 headers but I found that totally insufficient.  My collection of nearly 11,000 songs in various encodings showed me that to be reasonably certain that we were out of the ID3V2 madness I had to verify at least 10 headers, but that was often not even enough.  I settled on 50 being the default value, and allow 150 verified headers to be REALLY sure.  There of course is a time penalty, but it is surprisingly quick - my standard benchmark of 423 songs, some of which have 5 or more ID3V1 tags and ID3V2 tags that go over 300KB deep, only takes 2 and a half minutes verifying 50 frames.

Enjoy

Ian

Edit 9/26/15 - updated code

ID3 Clean 1.24.au3

Edited by llewxam

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • 2048 Game - My version of 2048, fun tile game.
  • Juice Lab - Ecigarette liquid making calculator.
  • Data Protector - Secure notes to save sensitive information.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.
  • Find in File - Searches files containing a specified phrase.

Thanks for sharing. :D

With my own program, I just remove any tag that is not standard for my requirements. I don't allow any others, no matter what they are. That usually just leaves me to clean up the Comments field. I also double-check with MP3Tag, because sometimes tags can be tricky and sneaky ... like including APE tags etc.

I will see how well yours compares, but I imagine yours is batch enabled, whereas mine is per album (or track) only, so yours could indeed be a handy tool to keep at hand. :thumbsup:

Of course, we don't generally have issues with our own rips. ;)

(though I also remove reference to encoder, etc)

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Indeed mine is meant for a batch, it can do album-level and I did test it that way but I mainly tested on lots of albums.  And though I didn't try it, I think it would crash and burn if you input a single file, though I am away from my computer at the moment and can't test the theory.

I did use your UDF at some point but ran in to problems, as you said "we don't generally have issues with our own rips" is very true, but NO other tools I have tried are able to keep on slogging through several broken tags like this does.  Not that I tried them all, but the higher-ranking ones from a few Google searches and all would leave things behind or just crash on some songs.

I played around with UDFing this but there are just too many arrays that got recreated for each song, waaaaaay too much of a performance penalty.

So yes, PLEASE let me know if I am failing anywhere, and I will maybe add a few quick lines to allow it to work on 1 file, not a bad idea.  I was also thinking of adding a context menu to get information on a specific file if anyone was interested, I'm not but hey, I'm not the only user now, am I??  :P

Ian

Edited by llewxam

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.

added here.

https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/AutoIt_Programs#File.2FData.2FImage_Processing.2FViewers

Please put there a more appropriate description.

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

added here.

https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/AutoIt_Programs#File.2FData.2FImage_Processing.2FViewers

Please put there a more appropriate description.

Done.

Ian

My projects:

(though I also remove reference to encoder, etc)

Just curious - by this do you mean you remove the DOZENS of LAME headers some files have?  I did not experiment with this or research it, but in casual observance I thought they should not be removed.  If they don't matter, they may go next!  :D  I found them highly annoying when looking at the files in a hex editor.

Ian

My projects:

I only work with the Tags, both standard and custom user created. I don't touch anything in the header, that isn't in an ID3 tag. If you create an MP3 with Lame, then in my experience you get an encoder tag that says what Lame version created the MP3. I don't need that info myself, so I wipe it.

The only tags I keep are pretty basic ID3v2.3 ones. So nothing special like Lyrics, Performer, Writer, etc. I keep it simple, with sensible rules that I find easy to recall, because things can so easily get out of hand (slowing down ripping and cataloging).

Track Number (zero based and not 1 0f 10, and not disc numbering, etc).

Track Title (artist detail not allowed in this field). If a live track, then (live) is appended. I generally try to keep the text in this field as short as possible, so (bonus track) is (bonus) or (live bonus) and similar for (demo) etc, with all lower case unless a title (John's radio edit). I don't use illegal file name characters in any of my tags, so '/' or '\' is usually '+' or '-'. Hash numbering is used for duplicate names, for file name reasons, i.e. Black Night #2 (live).

Artist Name (this is track artist and guests only). Always uppercase for main artist and unless equal footing, titlecase for guests. Depending on the nature of the relationship, a '+' or '&' is used. An 'And' is always shortened to an ampersand.

Album Artist (only used when a Various compilation or a guest artist is included on a track, and only for that track). Guest names don't usually appear here, just the album artist name.

Album Title (with a disc indicator if more than one disc, i.e. The Wall (Remastered) - CD1). The only text that comes after a CD number, is a special title, usually in brackets, i.e. Anthology - CD1 (Rarities), for sorting reasons.

Year (4 digits only, original or first release, and mandatory). Annoyingly many don't bother filling the year in. In my view, it is more important than Genre.

Genre (this is generally two words, with the second being Rock, except when Classical or Jazz or Country or Blues in their pure form, else they get combined with Rock, Pop, etc) (When not completely sure or can't be bothered working it out, I often just use Rock on its own). I only use about 20 or so secondary descriptions, that I term Category. Common ones I use often are Heavy Rock, Jazz Rock, Southern Rock, Latin Rock, Folk Rock, Pop Rock, Fusion Rock, Orchestral Rock, etc.

Comment (this is often blank for my own rips, but can contain detail about extra artists and recordings, especially Live ones). Remastered Year is located here as well.

NOTE - I play my stuff via Playlists, so I'm not concerned with Album Title differences for multi disc. But typically in that scenario, I would have a combined playlist and a playlist for each disc, to give maximum flexibility.

P.S. I just know you wanted to know all that detail. ;)  I have so much more I can tell you if you want.:muttley:

P.S.S. I can't recall off the top of my head, but I think Folk is also a single Genre. The singles are all based on the original ID3v1 genres, but I don't bother with Misc and the others. So basically everything else revolves around them, and are sub categories.

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

lol, I'll share back things that you may not need to know...

The only reason I spent NINE weekends in a row working on and testing this is because the artist tags not always being the same was causing my Android phone to break up albums despite the songs being in the same folder!!  After ignoring it for years I snapped; it takes snapping to become motivated enough to start working on an 11,000 MP3 collection!  And really, MY collection has been stripped bare now for weeks, but I felt compelled to share my solution so I had to milk the code for every performance improvement I could find, re-testing against a set of albums over and over, while making sure I didn't break anything by running against my entire collection periodically, which I copied over from my NAS to my puter, then copied albums from that folder to another one to test the code on  I literally put almost 6TB of writes on my 240GB SSD according to the Magician software, probably sucked a year off its life!!  :)

Ian

Edited by llewxam

My projects:

haha, about 2.5 hours, on a 3.6GHz processor and very fast SSD.  I still haven't done the "ultimate" test of running it on the NAS, that should be about a day I imagine.  But I may break down and (shudder) rename all songs to a standard much as TheSaint uses first!

Ian

Edit:  most songs get stripped VERY fast, whole albums can take under a second, but some songs are full of false-positives and some had ID3V2 over 1MB long!

Edited by llewxam

My projects:

But then I'd never know how long it would take!  :D  When it is time I'll start it before work and just let it go.

Ian

My projects:

You might think this silly, but when you are working with loops of that size it's worth squeezing every tiny bit of optimization.

For example "if @error == 1 Then" I think AutoIt might internally convert both ends of that to a string before testing.

So "if @error = 1 Then" over 22000 times or whatever might spare you a minute or two.

EDIT:

Also "If $ElapsedSeconds >= 60 Then" is making two checks

Might be better "If $ElapsedSeconds > 60 Then" (you might also be losing a second each minute there with = )

Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

lol @ 60 seconds, oops!  As for the @error, not 100% I follow, but I'm once again not at my computer, will have to sit down and look at it.

Thanks

Ian

My projects:

== is a case sensitive comparison for strings in AutoIt. Since AutoIt is loosely typed and very forgiving, it is reasonable to assume that internally it casts both @error value and the test value to strings before making the comparison. But I'm not 100% on that.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Thanks for the suggestion on == vs = JohnOne, but I changed all == to = and it made no difference in speed.  Worth a shot!  :)

I did, however, fix the >= 60 seconds bit.  No other changes.

Ian

My projects: