Rewrite of the PowerPoint UDF

water

I have started to rewrite the PowerPoint UDF similar to the Word, Excel and Outlook UDF. The new UDF will not be compatible with the existing one.
I will add examples, documentation, a section in the wiki etc.
So far the following functions have been coded - more are on the ToDo list.

• _PPT_Open: Open a connection to a running instance of PowerPoint or start a new one
  • _PPT_Close: Close a PowerPoint instance
  • _PPT_CommentAdd: Add a Comment anywhere on a Slide or connected to a Shape (version 1.5.0.0 2021-08-31)
  • _PPT_CommentDelete: Delete a single Comment from a Slide or all Comments from a SlideRange (version 1.5.0.0 2021-08-31)
  • _PPT_CommentList: Get a list of all Comments in a Presentation (version 1.5.0.0 2021-08-31)
  • _PPT_ConvertUnits: Convert units (like centimeters) to other units (like points) (version 1.3.0.0 2021-08-17)
  • _PPT_HeaderFooterList: Returns a list of Headers and Footers for a Presentation (version 1.1.0.0 2021-07-25, removed with version 1.4.0.0 2021-08-25)
  • _PPT_HeaderFooterSet: Sets the Header/Footer for a Slide/Slides or the Slide-/Notes-/Handout-/Title-Master of the Presentation (version 1.2.0.0 2021-08-09)
  • _PPT_PresentationAttach: Attach to an already opened Presentation
  • _PPT_PresentationClose: Close a Presentation
  • _PPT_PresentationExport: Export one/multiple/all Slides as PDF or XPS.
  • _PPT_PresentationExportGraphic: Export one/multiple/all Slides in a graphic format.
  • _PPT_PresentationList: Returns a list of currently open Presentations (version 1.0.0.0 2021-07-20)
  • _PPT_PresentationNew: Create a new Presentation
  • _PPT_PresentationOpen: Open an existing Presentation
  • _PPT_Print: Print one/multiple/all Slides of a Presentation (version 1.0.0.0 2021-07-20)
  • _PPT_PresentationSave: Save a Presentation
  • _PPT_PresentationSaveAs: Save a Presentation to another location or with another type
  • _PPT_ShapeAdd: Add a Shape to a single or multiple Slides (version 1.1.0.0 2021-07-25)
  • _PPT_ShapeAlignDistribute: Aligns and distributes the Shapes in the specified ShapeRange (version 1.6.0.0 - to be released)
  • _PPT_ShapeCopyMove: Copy/move a Shape(s) of a single Slide to a Slide(s) in the same or a different Presentation (version 1.1.0.0 2021-07-25)
  • _PPT_ShapeDelete: Delete a Shape or Shapes from a single or multiple Slides (version 1.1.0.0 2021-07-25)
  • _PPT_SlideAdd: Add slide(s) to a Presentation
  • _PPT_SlideCopyMove: Copy, move, duplicate Slide(s)
  • _PPT_SlideDelete: Delete Slide(s)
  • _PPT_SlideShow: Show a Presentation
  • _PPT_TableGet: Extract data from a PowerPoint Table Shape to an array (version 1.3.0.0 2021-08-17)
  • _PPT_TableSet: Write data to a PowerPoint Table Shape (version 1.3.0.0 2021-08-17)
  • _PPT_TextFindReplace: Find & replace text throughout entire PowerPoint presentation (version 1.0.0.0 2021-07-20)
  • _PPT_TextSet: Sets/modifies the Text of a Shape or Shapes of a single or multiple Slides (version 1.2.0.0 2021-08-09

Which functions do you want me to add to the UDF?

ToDo list:

• create slide (JLogan3o13) - Done: _PPT_SlideAdd
  • Apply template to slide (JLogan3o13) - Done: _PPT_SlideAdd
  • Apply theme to slide (JLogan3o13)
  • Cut/Copy/Duplicate/Move/Delete slide(s) (JLogan3o13) - Done: _PPT_SlideCopyMove, _PPT_SlideDelete
  • Export slides (JLogan3o13) - Done: _PPT_PresentationExport
  • Cut/Copy/Duplicate/Move/Delete shape(s) (JLogan3o13): Done : _PPT_ShapeCopyMove, _PPT_ShapeDelete (version 1.1.0.0 2021-07-25)
  • ApplyAnimation, Select, SetDefaultProperties, and zOrder for shape(s) (JLogan3o13)
  • Searching and replacing text (pcjunki) - Done: _PPT_TextFindReplace (version 1.0.0.0 2021-07-20)
  • Export slides in a graphic format (JPG, GIF, PNG ...) (UEZ) - Done: _PPT_PresentationExportGraphic

The UDF can be downloaded from the download forum.

Edited by water
Added functions of version 1.5.0.0 to the list

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Moderators

Just my 2c, but I think the biggest bang for most users will be to include as many members as possible under the slide object: create, and delete of course, but maybe also ApplyTemplate/ApplyTheme, Cut/Copy/Duplicate, MoveTo (reorder) and Export. 

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Thanks for the reply!
I've added them to the ToDo list.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Thanks too for your input!
Added to the list.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Moderators

Trying to think of things I do in PPT, and what I might automate. The only other one I can think of would be the Shapes object. Mostly the same members as Slide: Copy,Cut,Delete,Duplicate. But also ApplyAnimation, Select,SetDefaultProperties, and zOrder.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

Wow! The list gets longer and longer ;)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

When would you like to see a progress bar? Does PowerPoint any long lasting processing?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Just add it to the PPP, e.g. you have 8 slides then a small progress at the buttom will show the current progress of the slides.

Slide / current progress at the buttom

1       #

7       #######

8       ########

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

Something for you to play with:
<Removed the files>
Alpha version added to the download forum (see first post in this thread).

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Moderators

Awesome work, as usual. The script runs through, and I see the intended layouts in the presentation. It does catch the following COM error out of the UDF:

Test.au3 (69) : ==> COM Error intercepted !
    err.number is:      0x80020006
    err.windescription: Unknown name.

err.description is:     
    err.source is:      
    err.helpfile is:    
    err.helpcontext is:     
    err.lastdllerror is:    0
    err.scriptline is:  69
    err.retcode is:     0x00000000

If PowerPoint is not running when you start the script ObjGet returns this "error". This can be ignored and will not be seen with full blown example scripts :)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Not to throw water on this idea, but how often does one need to automate creating a powerpoint presentation? I always thought it would be a manual process as they're usually a one-off type of thing.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

My 2c, but I look at it the same as "Why climb Mt. Everest?". If it is something water is wants to put the work in on, I'm all for it, and think there are those that would find benefit.

I know this UDF won't be used on a daily basis like the Excel UDF. That's why I was reluctant for quite some time to start working on it.
But as it would be useful for me I now use some of my spare time for this project.
I have a meeting each month where I need to prepare the presentation manually by changing the date and the number of the meeting etc. This can be done automagically ;)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I never said don't put the time into it, I just wondered the purpose of automating what I saw as basically a one time document.

I worked on the ToolTip UDF and I'm pretty sure practically no one uses that either, but it was something I could sink my teeth into at the time. So I understand the desire.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

This can be done automagically ;)

autoitmagically ;)

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

Added the Alpha version to the download forum.

New function _PPT_SlideCopyMove.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I was reading something about 

• Searching and replacing text (pcjunki)

Just here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff746607.aspx

and playing around:

Func _PPT_PresentationGetText(ByRef $oPresentation)
    Local $sText = ""
    If Not IsObj($oPresentation) Or ObjName($oPresentation, 1) <> "_Presentation" Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    For $oSlide_enum In $oPresentation.Slides
        For $oShape_enum In $oSlide_enum.Shapes
            If $oShape_enum.HasTextFrame Then
                $sText &= $oShape_enum.TextFrame.TextRange.Text & @CRLF
            EndIf
        Next
    Next
    Return $sText
EndFunc

mLipok

EDIT:
Better example:

Func _PPT_PresentationGetText(ByRef $oPresentation, $iSlide  = -1 )
    Local $sText = ""
    If Not IsObj($oPresentation) Or ObjName($oPresentation, 1) <> "_Presentation" Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)

If $oPresentation.Slides.Count = 0
        Return SetError(2, 0, 0)
    ElseIf Not IsInt($iSlide) Then
        Return SetError(3, 0, 0)
    ElseIf $iSlide = -1 then
        For $oSlide_enum In $oPresentation.Slides
            $sText &= _PPT_SlideGetText($oSlide_enum)
        Next
        Return $sText
    ElseIf $iSlide < 1 or $iSlide > $oPresentation.Slides.Count
        Return SetError(4, 0, 0)
    Else
        Return _PPT_SlideGetText($oPresentation.Slides.Item($iSlide))
    EndIf
EndFunc

Func _PPT_SlideGetText(ByRef $oSlide)
    Local $sText = ''
    For $oShape_enum In $oSlide.Shapes
        If $oShape_enum.HasTextFrame Then
            $sText &= $oShape_enum.TextFrame.TextRange.Text & @CRLF
        EndIf
    Next
    Return $sText
Next

Hope will be useful.

ps. not tested

btw.
For this who want to read more:
Object model (PowerPoint VBA reference)

mLipok

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24