Avoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors

EKY32

Go to solution Solved by trancexx,

Hey there :bye:

some times in a big script like mine, unpredictable errors come out and crashes it, is there anyway to handle any error in the script with a message box or event instead of viewing an "AutoIt error" and closing the application?

I hope so, thank you. :ermm:

[font="'trebuchet ms', helvetica, sans-serif;"]Please mark the answer of your question if you found it.[/font]

One of the typical errors that crashes a script is caused by using an invalid index with arrays:

Global $aArray[3], $i = 99
MsgBox(0, "Error", $aArray[$i])

How would you "handle" such an error?

The only way I see to avoid the error MsgBox is to use the command line switch /ErrorStdOut.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Thank you, sometimes I have errors from COM objects for example, or even as you said because of an error in arrays methods. I thought that there might be a way to avoid the error message, I don't care if my app crashed, but I don't want to show that my app is created with autoit.

[font="'trebuchet ms', helvetica, sans-serif;"]Please mark the answer of your question if you found it.[/font]

To handle COM errors you can add a COM error handler to your scripts. See ObjEvent in the help file.

After 3.3.8.1 a COM error no longer crashes the script but sets @error. So you should check for @error <> 0 anyway.

Use the switch as I suggested and you won't see the MsgBox pop up. If you want to display a user defined message I can point you to code I once got from trancexx to handle this issue.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

To handle COM errors you can add a COM error handler to your scripts. See ObjEvent in the help file.

Great, thank you.

After 3.3.8.1 a COM error no longer crashes the script but sets @error. So you should check for @error <> 0 anyway.

It's much greater, thank you!

Use the switch as I suggested and you won't see the MsgBox pop up. If you want to display a user defined message I can point you to code I once got from trancexx to handle this issue.

ah yes please, if you have some time for that I would be thankful.

Godspeed.

; Cause error that would say some AutoIt shit happened, but now it wouldn't say "AutoIt"

^_^  that's it. thank you.

This is fabulous
I think this snippet will often quoted.

Thanks
trancexx

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

I noticed the important thing.

This script does not work with:
AutoIt3Wrapper v.2.1.0.33

after the upgrade to
AutoIt3Wrapper v.2.1.2.26
script starts to work properly.

EDIT:

I had a situation on their PC with a standard installation
AuotIt 3.3.8.1 + SciTE4AutoIt3_2013-04-06.exe

Edited by mlipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

• 4 weeks later...
AddHookApi("user32.dll", "MessageBoxW", "Intercept_MessageBoxW", "int", "hwnd;wstr;wstr;uint")

I wonder how I can, after running, turn off this feature, without end of the entire script.

ps.

Please look at the sample application, using this functionality.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

I wonder how I can, after running, turn off this feature, without end of the entire script.

ps.

Please look at the sample application, using this functionality.

To turn it off for whatever reason, you do something like this:

Global $pOriginalFunc = AddHookApi("user32.dll", "MessageBoxW", "Intercept_MessageBoxW", "int", "hwnd;wstr;wstr;uint")

;... The rest of the code here...
;...

; Back to original function:
AddHookApi("user32.dll", "MessageBoxW", $pOriginalFunc)

... After that it's like it was never hooked.

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

thanks

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

Trancexx solution working great when we dont use any compressor/packer (UPX/others) for our compiled scripts, but doesn't work when we use them.

Try to compile your scripts together with UPX and you will see, it will display text "AutoIT" when error.

Compressor/packer (together with obfuscator) is a good idea to make our scripts harder to decompiled.

According to trancexx, this solution will not work if the compressor/packer crypte the PE Import directory.

Any ideas from you guys? :)

Did you try to use this:

#Obfuscator_Ignore_Funcs=AddHookApi
#Obfuscator_Ignore_Funcs=ImageDirectoryEntryToData
#Obfuscator_Ignore_Funcs=Intercept_MessageBoxW
#Obfuscator_Ignore_Funcs=VirtualProtect

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Trancexx solution working great when we dont use any compressor/packer (UPX/others) for our compiled scripts, but doesn't work when we use them.

Try to compile your scripts together with UPX and you will see, it will display text "AutoIT" when error.

Compressor/packer (together with obfuscator) is a good idea to make our scripts harder to decompiled.

According to trancexx, this solution will not work if the compressor/packer crypte the PE Import directory.

So it makes it not perfect base.

Some time ago, I found this solution:

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

This solution should be perfect.

But I found a bug postpage-2#entry1126919' title="OnAutoItErrorRegister - Handle AutoIt critical errors: post #27"> #27

I solved this bug. After you download the UDF, Make My solution for the bug.

In addition, I gave a very good idea. I would love if someone will make the idea! (Read page-2#entry1126919' title="OnAutoItErrorRegister - Handle AutoIt critical errors: post #27">#27 for details)

Edited by Guest

maybe >this?

thanks but it only works with the beta version of autoit .

It should work also with the stable autoit version?

Please help me.

I want to use it in the

stable version!