Good coding practices in AutoIt

guinness

That was a question, not a statement.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I know. "Why do you say that" is just a phrase/expression that means where did that question come from? I am just surprised that's all.

But if it makes you feel better then perhaps I should have said why do you ask that?

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

18 months ago I started this "best coding practices" thread and I'm happy to say that I can finally see the community taking pride in the code they produce and not using AutoIt as just some "scripting language" it once was.

Wow, really?  Y'know, I get a little irritated by the fact some people let "MVP" or moderator status go to their heads and then somehow lose touch with reality. The fact is, the world isn't THAT affected or concerned with you or your ego. (the same as the rest of us)

Wow, really?  Y'know, I get a little irritated by the fact some people let "MVP" or moderator status go to their heads and then somehow lose touch with reality. The fact is, the world isn't THAT affected or concerned with you or your ego. (the same as the rest of us)

I am not following. I am just a user of AutoIt and nothing more.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

• 1 month later...

I found a way to use high Sleep value while a loop running and without slowing down the loop.

AdlibRegister("Loop",10)

ConsoleWrite(1 & @CRLF)
Sleep(1000)
ConsoleWrite(2 & @CRLF)
Sleep(1000)
ConsoleWrite(3 & @CRLF)
Sleep(1000)
ConsoleWrite(4 & @CRLF)

While 1
    Sleep(1000)
WEnd

Func Loop()
    ToolTip("test")
EndFunc   ;==>Example

; ^^ Instead of using:
;While 1
;   ToolTip("test")
;   Sleep(10)
;WEnd

It works because in this case the loop is not a regular loop.

Instead of writing
While 1
    ToolTip("test")
    Sleep(10)
WEnd

I write:

AdlibRegister("Loop",10)
Func Loop()
    ToolTip("test")
EndFunc

It does not look the same, but if the behavior is the same. In both cases we have a loop.
The difference is that this method have very big and important advantage .

Are there any disadvantages In this method?

Edited by Guest

It's not really a best coding practice. Plus I don't see the the real difference, Stuart it wrong with having sleep inside a loop?

UDF List:

I'm glad this got bumped, because I have a possible amendment to make to current coding practices source (such as the wiki), after a discussion with Melba on this.

The current best coding practices wiki page recommends using $id as the prefix for control ids. However, it was pointed out to Melba that on occasion this can conflict with the MsgBox return code conflicts, for seemingly innocuous names such as $idCancel.

I guess that $c is then the best candidate. I know it has another meaning in C, but still I think its the best option.

The the other option (what I currently use) is to use control specific prefixes, such as $btn, $lbl, $inp etc. so that the prefix gives a bit more information about the data the variable is storing. 

• Moderators

Hi,

I would support a change to $c - and not only because it is what I have been using for some time. As long as there is a clear distinction between handles and ControlIDs I am actually not too fussed what we adopt, but using a prefix which can so very easily cause conflicts with commonly included constants (even if they are not actually used in the script) is definitely not ideal. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Changing to c in the wiki will conflict with the standards set in the help file. Maybe the discussion could be moved to the private Forum, as it's beyond the scope of this thread.

UDF List:

This is a coding best practices thread, how could it possibly be out of the scope of the thread. Putting it where the great unwashed of no consequence  cannot see it, is of course though, your prerogative. 

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Because it's also related to the help file and UDFs, which should be discussed between those working on AutoIt.

UDF List:

Because it's also related to the help file and UDFs, which should be discussed between those working on AutoIt.

guinness, you're confusing me. A few posts ago said you are just a user of AutoIt and nothing more. :think:

$c gets my vote too - although $id should be acceptable in both situations since it appears a to be a conjunction of integer and binary, which fits the description and is suitable in a variety of other situations. Perhaps swap the letters $diBinaryInteger - problem solved! :D

Edited by czardas

Did not know there was a best coding practices in help file, I'll take a closer look.

But regardless, comments or discussions about a variable prefix is not super secret and by every account has a place in this thread.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

i've been using $g as a prefix for control ID's , as g stands for graphic. as the letters "g" & "h" are closely related in order, this is also very convenient in relation to using $h for the handle of the control. for example:

Local $gButtonOK = GUICtrlCreateButton("OK", 100, 100, 60, 20)
Local $hButtonOK = GUICtrlGetHandle($gButtonOK)

so i have a very clear distinction between the control ID and the handle of the control, both carrying the same name but with different prefix.

Edited by orbs

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

Well Valik suggested $g should be used for global variables to avoid conflicts with constants native to AutoIt. That was a while ago though. Since AutoIt is developing with so many new features it's difficult to give a final answer on questions like this. It's a bit like fashion, things keeps changing - although some things remain constant. I think $i, $a and $v are unlikely to change for a while, and probably a few more can be included in the category of being stable.

I think someone said constants should be upper case earlier, but I would never restrict myself in such a way personally. Although unofficial, $k is a good choice for constants (typical historically in physics and also in programming). Code should be readable if you wish to share or update it - and sometimes unreadable, but only for the right reasons.

Edited by czardas

Valik meant $g_, but if the variable is local then that prefix is invalid.

Since AutoIt is developing with so many new features it's difficult to give a final answer on questions like this. It's a bit like fashion, things keeps changing - 

I give answers and you guys tell me I am wrong. So what else can I do? For example...

Local $vVar = "" ; This is local to the scope.
Global $g_vVar = "" ; This is Global as it's used inside function(s).

Func Example()
    $g_vVar = Null
EndFunc

Even Jon confirmed this as being correct.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Excuse me guinness, I never said you were wrong, merely that you making seemingly contradictory statements.

Here =>

and here =>

Now let me see what you just said here.

Global $g_vVar = "" ; This is Global as it's used inside function(s).

;This is what I call wrong: the variable is global regardless of where you use it.

Anyway, I'm not so bothered where you want to discuss this. Beyond avoiding conflicts, I consider variable prefixes somewhat arbitrary.

Edited by czardas

Excuse me guinness, I never said you were wrong, merely that you making seemingly contradictory statements.

Here =>

and here =>

Actually there is a mistake, it should now read I was a user of AutoIt.

As for contradicting myself I can't see how those two comments are related. There are a group of people behind the scenes working on AutoIt and if Mat decides to change the wiki documentation for UDF creation (which represents the official documentation) then it's best to discuss such matters there. There as a lot of examples which will need to be ammended to reflect this documentation change. I guess Mat understood my point, which is what counts.

UDF List:

No worries guinness. Just what you say confuses me sometimes. I have read Mat's wiki article many times and found it very helpful. I think readability and standard practices should take precedence in most situations, but not necessarily always. The fact that I'm able to voice such an opinion on a public forum makes me happy.