Zipping files in Autoit: state of art

j0kky

Hi guys,

I often need zipping\unzipping function within my scripts, so I've decided to do a systematic research about it to understand which options I had. I'm sharing with you these results because I think it can save some time to somobody :)

Autoit coders produced much material from 2005 till now, most of it consists of UDF wrappers of 3rd parts libraries, but there are some exception.

Let's start:

• ZIP from scratch UDF: written by joakim. You can retrieve some info from a zip file, but it is just a PoC script, as I can see.
  • LZ UDF: written by trancexx: another exception. It use native windows compression, so it doesn't need anything. It can work with memory, it doesn't work with files.
  • LZMA UDF: written by Ward. He writes a dll which can be directly included or can be embedded within an au3 file. It can work with memory, it doesn't work with files. [it needs LZMA.dll or LZMA.dll.au3](link missing)
  • Package UDF: written by Yashied. It is useful for dealing with package (.pkr) file.
  • ZIP UDF: written by Wraithdu (yet torels UDF): the exception! Based on zipfldr.dll, a native library of Windows, so it does not need to include an external library into the script. It is its strenght, but its weak point too: if zipfldr.dll is corrupted or is missing, your script will not do what you expect.
  • gZip UDF: written by Zinthose. Based on the parsing of gZip.exe output. It can work with memory, it doesn't work with files. [it needs gZip.exe]
  • ZLib UDF: written by monoceres. Based on ZLib.dll. It can compress\uncompress data in memory, it doesn't work with files. [it needs ZLib.dll]
  • pZip UDF: written by asdf8. Based on ZLib.dll. It can extract\add\overwrite file into archives. [it needs pZip.dll]
  • ZLib and gZip UDF: written by Ward. Based on ZLib.dll but it does not need the dll file, because it is written directly in the UDF! It can compress\uncompress data in memory, and it can work with files. It works with gZip format too. (link missing)
  • XZip UDF: written by eltorro, KXM and erifash. Based on XZip.dll, a COM dll. [it needs XZip.dll]
  • XZip UDF: written by mLipok. Based on XZip.dll, a COM dll. A more complete alternative to previous UDF. [it needs XZip.dll]
  • unRAR UDF: written by rasim. Based on unRAR.dll. You can just uncompress rar files with this one (the only method for new v5 RAR files). [it needs unRAR.dll]
  • Parsing unRAR.exe output: you can just uncompress rar files in this way (the only method for new v5 RAR files). [it needs unRAR.exe]
  • 7Zip: I spent a lot of time with it, because I think it is the most useful, there are different approaches:
  1. Parsing 7za.exe output, it is the simplest (and in my opinion the best) way, some UDFs can help with it, as jennico UDF (thanks to Screen Scrape script by Valik, it seems it doesn't work in Windows 10) [it needs 7za.exe]
  2. Using 3rd part dll, as rasim UDF (yet jak UDF). He rewrites a dll which can be simply invoked by his UDF [it needs 7-zip32.dll and\or 7-zip64.dll]. With Decipher UDF you doesn't need to include the dll in your project, because it is compiled into the script and loaded in memory directly at runtime.
  3. Invoking 7za.dll. This is the most complicated approach because the library doesn't use standard COM interfaces. Anyway dany, Starg, milky, trancexx, Mugen and finally Biatu had spent some time with it and they reach a sort of partial result. [it needs 7za.dll]

Comment here to add suggestions\links\UDF I forgot and I'll update this post with them!

Edited by j0kky

I looked at the options sometime ago but i went the path of using unrar.exe which is the extract only version of winrar.

It is commandline and has switches and can be easily used to extract files including the modern winrar 5 which 7z fails on

Note i did say extract only..

Edited by Chimaera

@Chimaera Yep, unrar is a little easier to use & has the ability to extract files from the modern v5 archives... v5 is not free >:(

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

The wiki holds a list of UDFs including a lot for data compression.
I will check which of your list is missing and add it to the list.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Done

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Thanks guys!

@water: if you want, you can add at the end of "data compression" wiki section a link to this conversation, in this way users could have an overview of the options and could read a detailed description about each UDF

@j0kky - I believe there was another ZIP program here, similar to the first you mention. It either preceded that one or came after. I believe they were linked together, but as many old links were broken by Forum upgrade(s), it may no longer work. I am still using the earlier one in some of my programs, but like many here, I just tend to use 7Zip these days, especially if I want more control.

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

@TheSaint: Are you talking about Zip Plugin by eltorro? I didn't include it in the list because its link is broken due to forum upgrade, and the copy I discovered on the web used old Autoit function as PluginOpen, so it needs to be partially rewritten

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

2 minutes ago, j0kky said:

@TheSaint: Are you talking about Zip Plugin by eltorro? I didn't include it in the list because its link is broken due to forum upgrade, and the copy I discovered on the web used old Autoit function as PluginOpen, so it needs to be partially rewritten

I suspect that was the one. I probably did some work-a-rounds for it myself or I amended something someone else did, as I'm pretty sure I didn't use PluginOpen, just normal DLL calls.

You can always try The Way Back Machine to retrieve links.

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

@TheSaint: Google is a sort of way back machine :D anyway this is the link of the project on googlecode, but it is not really useful...

@mLipok: thank you, I've added it.

The Way Back Machine means you are browsing a no longer existing version of the forum, so links work etc. Those links can be extracted and edited if necessary to point to locations that still exist, though older forum stuff has now been archived.

Google only searches the here and now.

Spoiler

userbar.png

I have never used it, in fact I was thinking you were just kidding :D anyway, if I have not done some errors, the archive saves only 4 Autoit forum attachments :( 

Edited by j0kky

It can be tricky to use, and time consuming as you traverse the timeline in search of things. It is amazing what can be found sometimes, especially downloads.

Spoiler

userbar.png

@j0kky: as your list appears to include non-zip compression algorithms, you may wish to add trancexx's PNG-based compression method too.